I wanted to freeze mark my horses..

oldman

Lobster Land
Pasofever said:
.......But decided not to try this at home..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7NlVBYmcPo

Ouch! Just curious, has anyone considered getting them implanted with the little things like dogs and cats get nowadays for identification? I'm sure it would be less painful for all concerned although I also realize it wouldn't be something one could easily visibly see.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
oldman said:
Ouch! Just curious, has anyone considered getting them implanted with the little things like dogs and cats get nowadays for identification? I'm sure it would be less painful for all concerned although I also realize it wouldn't be something one could easily visibly see.
microchips. Not hard at all.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
oldman said:

Yep but they are invisable to the eye..a more visable identification is better..and most slaughter houses do not check for microchips but most states have a law about brands..

Cowgirl

jazz lady said:
:yikes: I've seen that before but it doesn't make it any less painful looking.

I worked on a farm where the cattle were freeze branded...not all of them, just the bulls, and all of the animals that were going in their annual sale. The animals only react for the first 5 seconds or so...before the area is numbed. There's a healing process afterwards, similar to an abrasion or something...because the frozen skin sloughs off. It usually heals in only a few days though...with no treatment. If an animal had to be branded, I'd much rather it be freeze branded than hot branded! :yikes:

oldman

Lobster Land
Pasofever said:
Yep but they are invisable to the eye..a more visable identification is better..and most slaughter houses do not check for microchips but most states have a law about brands..

I do understand what your saying but why can't the horse, etc. people push for having the animals implanted. I mean the dogs and cats implants came out of nowhere and are now the rage, why can't it be applied to all animals and make it manditory for slaughter houses to check. It just seems somewhat reasonable to me for stat purposes that it would be benificial. I am no longer a horse person but have been and am just putting forward my thoughts.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
oldman said:
I do understand what your saying but why can't the horse, etc. people push for having the animals implanted. I mean the dogs and cats implants came out of nowhere and are now the rage, why can't it be applied to all animals and make it manditory for slaughter houses to check. It just seems somewhat reasonable to me for stat purposes that it would be benificial. I am no longer a horse person but have been and am just putting forward my thoughts.

Yes Oldman ....many people do implant horses...just with a horse in a herd situation it is much easier to look out and see the brand vs having to catch it and scan it to see who it belongs too..kinda an old west cowboy thing..you can see your brand long off not have to scan it..I know alot of people do it but for now it is not the safest or most popular...I know on the stolen horse website they say to mark where you can see it...I have one mare that is branded and you can see the brand right off...I will do more research and get back to ya..