I went out to sniff the roses and guess what I found?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
widow.jpg

Of all places for a black widow to build her web, I never expected to find one in a rosebush.

She had her web all over that bush and it wasn't there yesterday.

BTW that's not my spider, she got away. :mad:

K

Kizzy

:yikes: I have yet to see one in my yard yet, but other people around here complain they have them all over the place.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
They're there. Count on it.

Try looking around the foundation or crawlspace of your house. You'll find dozens.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Several years ago, a friend was transplanting rose bushes. She never saw the spider, but a few hours later she landed in the emergency room. They confirmed black widow toxin in her bloodstream. She was in the hopital almost a week and it was a very painful experience. Now I always wear thick gloves when gardening.

J

justhangn

Unless you plan on handling them, they'll leave you alone...... :shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Kyle
They're there. Count on it.

Try looking around the foundation or crawlspace of your house. You'll find dozens.

:yikes:

I know they're there... but I prefer to pretend they're not.

Speaking of... if you need to go into your crawlspace, how do you protect yourself?

J

justhangn

Originally posted by sleuth14

Speaking of... if you need to go into your crawlspace, how do you protect yourself?

Grow a set. :duh:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member

I don't have a crawl space but I have found them in my mailbox and a few other common places where you wouldn't expect to find them.

Usually I can tell when I've found a widow web because Black Widows spin webs that lack shape and form. Their webs are erratic in appearance, and the silk is stronger than almost all other spiders.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by justhangn
Grow a set. :duh:

:spank:

And that's supposed to protect me how?

I guess the best thing to do is to never go under without someone being outside ready to pull me out? :shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Sharon
I don't have a crawl space but I have found them in my mailbox and a few other common places where you wouldn't expect to find them.

Usually I can tell when I've found a widow web because Black Widows spin webs that lack shape and form. Their webs are erratic in appearance, and the silk is stronger than almost all other spiders.

Haven't seen them in the mailbox yet, although last year I had to remove a wasp nest about every 3 days.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Haven't seen them in the mailbox yet, although last year I had to remove a wasp nest about every 3 days.
I just took one out from the grid underneath the bottom of my mailbox last week.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
More BW spider tales

As I was stepping outside the slider onto my deck earlier, I noticed a smallish black-legged spider who was directly in my path hanging from a thread. So I reached for my magic can of arachnid assassin and zapped the little bugger. After it was good and :dead: I brought the spider inside and checked it out with a magnifying glass. I could faintly see she was just getting her red spots. I "had" to see more so I put her on a slide and stuck her under the microscope...

Man that's tripping! :yikes:

She now resides in a jar for my collection. :dance:

I just wish I had a close-up pic for Rose. :biggrin:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: More BW spider tales

Meamie. :tantrum:

I bet you have laughed at me too when I almost stepped on a snake a couple of weeks ago and screamed like a sissy-girl. :bawl:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude
Do you kill all the spiders or are you obsessed only with the BWS?
Heck no, there's too many spiders around here for that. :lol: But yes, if I see a BW she's deadmeat if I can get her.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: More BW spider tales

As I was stepping outside the slider onto my deck earlier, I noticed a smallish black-legged spider who was directly in my path hanging from a thread. So I reached for my magic can of arachnid assassin and zapped the little bugger. After it was good and :dead: I brought the spider inside and checked it out with a magnifying glass. I could faintly see she was just getting her red spots. I "had" to see more so I put her on a slide and stuck her under the microscope...

Man that's tripping! :yikes:

She now resides in a jar for my collection. :dance:

Ewwww, I had a spider do that to me Sunday morning. I opened the front door and it came down stopping right in front of my face. I batted it away.

I'm getting better.... :biggrin: There was a time when I would have slammed the door and screamed.