I wonder

K

Kain99

Really? Wow, I guess Chopticon is the exception to the rule..... There are Recruiters from all 4 branches interacting with the kids on a weekly basis. Must be something new??

SmallTown

Football season!
We are friends with a recruiter here and they used to hit the schools here on career day.. Being a military based town, I couldn't imagine them stopping them from coming..

"Yes, we know the base is the life-line for the local economy as we now see it, and no you can't come to career day"

Christy

b*tch rocket
Yeah I imagine being around a military base helps with opening up that door. I just know some of the military folks I know as well as teachers I know tell me there are many schools shutting their doors to the military.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I would be curious to know if the recruiters are welcome at the local private High schools. :confused:

B

Bruzilla

We used to have recruiters from all branches come out to our high school about three times a year to talk to any kids that were interested. It wasn't limited to a career day or anything like that, and that was back in the "Hate the Military" days of the mid-70's.

alex

Wait a minute - I thought there was a new federal law/regulation that REQUIRES all high schools to provide the names, phone nubmers etc of students to the military for recruiting purposes?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by alex
Wait a minute - I thought there was a new federal law/regulation that REQUIRES all high schools to provide the names, phone nubmers etc of students to the military for recruiting purposes?

I don't think so but I could be wrong. I do know the DoD was pushing to get that pushed through as a matter of "equal rights" and all, since colleges can pull that info.

Hmmmm, must do some research.

But darnit! Not a soul has taken a peek at the link I posted! :bawl: :wink:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hell yeah show this to the kids. Makes me feel like calling the recruiter myself.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My son, 19, became interested in the Marines through the recruiter coming to his school, Calvert High School. He talked and talked to them. The was just prior to 9/11. My father, a 32-year Marine veteran, talked him out of signing up with the Marines. I'd like to see him join the Navy or Air Force, but it scares me to death to think about him leaving this country. I have very mixed feelings.

Yes, I looked at the video clip and, yes, I think they should show it at schools.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd be curious about how the younger generation views the video - SMC, does that video make you think about military service or does it make you recoil in horror?

Christy, I love pieces like that - they really make me mist up. I want to hug everyone of the soldiers in that video. When you contrast these young men and women with some of these college kids that make the news - man! I don't see how any parent wouldn't want to encourage their son or daughter to pursue a military career. While my Dougie is helping to defend our nation, some other Mom's kid is burning campus newspapers - I can't help but feel superior to those other Moms.

Catt, I couldn't be prouder of my little Army man. I was apprehensive about him going to Korea (heck, I was worried about him going to boot!) but this has been a great opportunity for him to see some of the world and interact with people from different backgrounds. He's much more mature at 19 than he would be if he'd gone to college or gotten some other job.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by vraiblonde

Catt, I couldn't be prouder of my little Army man. I was apprehensive about him going to Korea (heck, I was worried about him going to boot!) but this has been a great opportunity for him to see some of the world and interact with people from different backgrounds. He's much more mature at 19 than he would be if he'd gone to college or gotten some other job.

Oh, I toally agree. I think it would be great for him. It's just selfish mother reasons that I don't want him to. My dad said the Marine Corps is not what it used to be and the at the young boys are cannon fodder, as he calls it. He said the Air Force and Navy are a much better route for the kids. My son isn't too interested now, so we'll see what happens down the road.

SmallTown

Football season!
I'd be curious about how the younger generation views the video - SMC, does that video make you think about military service or does it make you recoil in horror?

I'm a "tweener".. Not a youngin, not carrying a cane yet.. But I would say the "Taliban hit the floor" would be a better recruiting tool.. I still get goosebumps when I watch it!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by SmallTown
I'm a "tweener".. Not a youngin, not carrying a cane yet.. But I would say the "Taliban hit the floor" would be a better recruiting tool.. I still get goosebumps when I watch it!

By your definition, I'm a tweener too!!! I bet most of us on here are!!!! whooo-hoooo!!!:biggrin:

Christy

b*tch rocket

Christy, I love pieces like that - they really make me mist up. I want to hug everyone of the soldiers in that video. When you contrast these young men and women with some of these college kids that make the news - man! I don't see how any parent wouldn't want to encourage their son or daughter to pursue a military career. While my Dougie is helping to defend our nation, some other Mom's kid is burning campus newspapers - I can't help but feel superior to those other Moms.

EXACTLY! I really hope both my kids join the military. A lot of folks think joining the military is for "uneducated" losers, who have no other options. I can only speak for the Air Force and the career field I was in, but just about half of the folks in my AFSC came in as enlisted, with a degree or pretty close to one. I still remember one of my friends sitting down with his supervisor when he first got on station and the supervisor was telling him how important it was to go to school and get a degree and him telling him "yeah I know, I'm working on my Masters". LOL! All those who did have a degree said they learned more in the AF than they did in college.

Anyway, I'm just babbling! LOL!

I just love that video, now if only I could find one for the Army and Air Force.