I would like to thank...

BernieP

Resident PIA
What complicated development in this area is the fact that the government rail track to pax was preserved as rail property until only a couple of years ago. So connecting those office buildings across that ROW would have required an act of congress.

But yes, all those curb cuts should be abandoned and a service road to connect all this stuff should run along the railroad ROW.

If you want to see inept management, look no further than FDR BLVD. I just read the story in the Enterprise. Maybe it will be completed by 2020, but then only to Pegg Rd.
The construction on behind First Colony goes nowhere, well not until phase 1C is built. But they had a "delay" in pulling a permit to cross a stream.
Really, something that's been in the "works" for 20 years and they had trouble getting a permit.

Have to ask, when will the new traffic light on 235 at FDR be put in. That should help back up the evening and morning traffic even more.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If you want to see inept management, look no further than FDR BLVD. I just read the story in the Enterprise. Maybe it will be completed by 2020, but then only to Pegg Rd.
The construction on behind First Colony goes nowhere, well not until phase 1C is built. But they had a "delay" in pulling a permit to cross a stream.
Really, something that's been in the "works" for 20 years and they had trouble getting a permit.

Have to ask, when will the new traffic light on 235 at FDR be put in. That should help back up the evening and morning traffic even more.

It hasn't "been in the works" for twenty years. It's been a concept since the 1970's. They didn't even start mapping it until around 2000. At that point, they wanted it to be a four lane divided highway going through neighborhoods. There was a lot of push back over that. I wasn't until later that they redesigned FDR to be a connector and funding didn't start actual land acquisition until just a few years ago. The first funding came just eight years ago.

awpitt

Main Streeter
What complicated development in this area is the fact that the government rail track to pax was preserved as rail property until only a couple of years ago. So connecting those office buildings across that ROW would have required an act of congress.

But yes, all those curb cuts should be abandoned and a service road to connect all this stuff should run along the railroad ROW.

It's been longer than "a couple of years ago". Various sets of county commissioners have been giving up right of ways across that rail bed for at least ten years, probably longer. The Three Notch trail has a lot of taken over now.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I think the problem is that Walmart has basically three lights, the Town Creak light and the one by Chesseldine are definitely not coordinated.
That light between Town Creek Dr and Shady Mile really gums up the works - the ripple effect just backs up down the entire length to gate 2 on some nights.
The traffic pattern in the evening commute is not a mirror of the morning. I think there is a higher density of vehicles because more people are out on 235.

The other impact on 235 is that at some left turn signals only 3 cars get thru because people making U-turns don't clear the intersection quickly
I also see more people making U-turns in the evening than in the morning.

They can't "coordinate" stop lights on a road with traffic that travels in two directions unless they favor only one direction at a time. There are a lot of cities that have one-way streets which allows them to time the lights. When I lived in Hagerstown, most of the streets were one-way. The lights were time such that one could travel all the way through town (assuming they observed the speed limit) and hit every green light.