ICE reopening long-closed deportation cases against Dreamers

This_person

ICE reopening long-closed deportation cases against Dreamers

The letter this fall from Immigrations and Customs Enforcement turned Zoila Pelayo's life on end. Stunned, she read that the agency was filing to reopen a deportation case against her that had been closed nearly eight years ago.
Pelayo, 33, lives with her husband and two young children in Tucson, Arizona. Her parents brought her there from Mexico without documentation when she was 6. As a "Dreamer" who has been shielded from deportation since 2012 under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, and who has stayed out of trouble with the law, Pelayo believed she was safe.
"I never thought they would reopen my case," she said. "I feel like I'm an American ... If they send me back to Mexico what are my kids going to do without me? What am I going to do without them?"

Zoila "feels like an American", but, she's not. "feeling like" something is not actually being that something.

Why doesn't she take her kids with her to Mexico?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
As a nation, we have to stop rewarding negative behaviors. Otherwise you get a lot more of that behavior. To the detriment of the legal US citizens.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Zoila "feels like an American", but, she's not. "feeling like" something is not actually being that something.

Why doesn't she take her kids with her to Mexico?

I'm going to guess that Trump is going to force congress to take up some sort of legislation and these types of cases are the applied pressure. It's kind of sad that they have to be the pawns here, but no one acts like there's any urgency to the situation.

This_person

I'm going to guess that Trump is going to force congress to take up some sort of legislation and these types of cases are the applied pressure. It's kind of sad that they have to be the pawns here, but no one acts like there's any urgency to the situation.
In short, in my opinion the only urgency is to seal the border to the maximum extent possible.

I really do feel bad for "dreamers" - their parents were shitty people, obviously, putting them in the position they're in. But, that's not the problem of the US citizen/taxpayer.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
In short, in my opinion the only urgency is to seal the border to the maximum extent possible.

I really do feel bad for "dreamers" - their parents were shitty people, obviously, putting them in the position they're in. But, that's not the problem of the US citizen/taxpayer.
Sealing the border sounds great to the right, allowing some persecuted minority in is a great thing for the left...There's got to be give and take on both sides to get anything passed. The one thing that the right has to watch out for is buying another pig in a poke, we'll pass the part with the DACA amnesty and provide funding for the wall at a later date (which never comes).

This_person

Sealing the border sounds great to the right, allowing some persecuted minority in is a great thing for the left...There's got to be give and take on both sides to get anything passed.
Why the "give and take"? I'm not trying to be a PITA, I'm serious - coming to the country illegally is...ILLEGAL. Why do we need to give on that one?

black dog

Free America
The problem with sealing the border is it also hems up the non citizens that are doing it correctly and legal.....
One of the canning plants we do work in has many legal mexicans. We wouldn't want them to go home for the holidays and not be able to return to work......

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why the "give and take"? I'm not trying to be a PITA, I'm serious - coming to the country illegally is...ILLEGAL. Why do we need to give on that one?
Because the D's have control of the house and if you don't stroke them some they don't set aside any cash for building a wall.

This_person

The problem with sealing the border is it also hems up the non citizens that are doing it correctly and legal.....
One of the canning plants we do work in has many legal mexicans. We wouldn't want them to go home for the holidays and not be able to return to work......
If there're here legally, there should really be no issue with that. There's paperwork and such that allows for that - thus the "legally" part.

This_person

Because the D's have control of the house and if you don't stroke them some they don't set aside any cash for building a wall.
[snark]You mean, quid pro quo - asking for help with illegal foreign nationals to do something right for the country?[/snark]

No, I get that and all, but my point is to ask why there should be a need to support illegal activity to get the House to support valid governmental action. Why are they that stupid and corrupt? That's the base of my question, I guess. More importantly, why are they returned to the House once the corruption is so clearly identified?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
[snark]You mean, quid pro quo - asking for help with illegal foreign nationals to do something right for the country?[/snark]

No, I get that and all, but my point is to ask why there should be a need to support illegal activity to get the House to support valid governmental action. Why are they that stupid and corrupt? That's the base of my question, I guess. More importantly, why are they returned to the House once the corruption is so clearly identified?
So you're asking why there are politicians?

This_person

So you're asking why there are politicians?
you forgot the [snark] function :lol:

No, I'm asking why we have elected politicians into federal positions that are not for enforcing US law, or looking out for the US citizen above all other people on the planet.