Identity Theft Victims Could Be Treated As Criminals

Victims Could Be Linked To Their Imposters

A growing concern about identity theft is that victims could be treated as criminals, which happened to one Maryland woman.

Nicolle Robinson, of San Antonio, assumed the identity of Nicole Robinson, of Maryland, turning the latter's life upside down.

"In three months she totaled up $36,000, computers, personal loans, department store accounts," Nicole Robinson said.

The Texas imposter did it from thousands of miles away by stealing her Maryland namesake's Social Security number off her health insurance identification from a database.

In five years, the Texas Robinson wracked up a criminal record and wrecked the Maryland Robinson's credit. Nicole Robinson's clean credit history soon had 54 addresses, 60 different aliases and 130 accounts in collection.

"Every time I'm confused with her, part of my identity slips away," she said.

The imposter served months in jail, but the victim fears she could face the same fate.

"That's my No. 1 fear," Nicole Robinson said. "Since we're merged, one day I'll be pulled over on a warrant that's actually her."

The Identity Theft Resource Center Web site gets 15 million hits a year. Many are from people who've been victimized not only by the imposter, but also by the system.

The center's founder said an identity theft victim's nightmare can begin when they're pulled over and an officer types their name into a law enforcement data bank.

The information can also prevent a victim from getting a job. Nicole Robinson alerted her employer before they conducted a background check.

Experts say there are things you can do to protect yourself:

File a police report if your wallet is lost or stolen.
Guard your Social Security number.
Check your credit report.
Run a background check on yourself.
If you've been a victim, carry an identity theft passport to let people know your identity has been stolen. (Virginia is one of a handful of states that offer the passport.)