Identity Theft

Grumpy

Anyone had the wonderful experience of identity theft???

My HR department notified me today that someone put in an unemployment claim in my name. It had my name, partial ssn, company and other assorted details. I'm very careful about putting anything online or giving out info about myself so I don't think I was hacked/scammed by phone but who knows how these azzhats got this info. HR reported it as fraud and gave me instructions on what to do. (1)File an identity doc with IRS using form 14039 (2)Report the fraud to one of the three credit reporting bureaus (they are required to report it to the other 2 bureaus) (3) Report it to MD's Department of Labor (4)File a report with local police (5)Report to US Department of Labor (6) Report to company HR, IT and Security departments (6) Sign up for identity theft protection..Lifelock or other companies..

Anyone gone thru this??

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Haven’t had it happen to me but good luck. All the stories of ever heard make for a hell of a headache.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was included in the data breach years ago, but nothing nefarious happened to me. Knock on wood. I do get notified for credit stuff that I did and sex offenders in my general area. Good luck!

Grumpy

I was included in the data breach years ago, but nothing nefarious happened to me. Knock on wood. I do get notified for credit stuff that I did and sex offenders in my general area. Good luck!
Yeah, I got notified of that too, got a free identity theft app for a year..never had any issues with it.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Far from rich, but don't want someone scamming my pittance, I would hate to have to downgrade my beer choice to Milwaukee's Best
Remember Meister Bräu? I think it was the Lowenbräu that didn't pass quality standards when Miller was brewing it. Man that stuff was good and cheap. 🍻

Grumpy

Remember Meister Bräu? I think it was the Lowenbräu that didn't pass quality standards when Miller was brewing it. Man that stuff was good and cheap. 🍻
Back in high school, we used to buy Black Label in the bottles, 2.99 a case when Bud was 4.99. I remember it as being pretty good as long as it was in bottles.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Remember Meister Bräu?

Vintage PABST Red White & Blue Special Lager Beer Can RWB ...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Back in high school, we used to buy Black Label in the bottles, 2.99 a case when Bud was 4.99. I remember it as being pretty good as long as it was in bottles.
I reviewer wrote this of Meister Bräu:

"The taste, is even worse, there's no body to absorb any of the metallic harsh bitterness. There's no mouthfeel for malt or hops. Its just like really bitter water that was kept in a mining pit with a bunch of rusted copper wire left strewn about."

Grumpy

I wish I could remember the name of the beer..but my b-i-l got a deal of 50 cases of this beer for $50..He went half with my father and I know that probably 23 cases were still in our basement 20 yrs later when my father sold the house..It was some horrible beer.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We camped out for Rush tickets at the Cap Centre in the early 80s and some guy came around collecting money for a beer run. We said what the hell and chipped in $5. The guy came back with at least 10 cases of Schaefer and stashed it in the back of my 73 Datsun P/U. Good times...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My turn! Just got a letter from MD Dept. of Labor stating Notice of Overpayment.

Somone used my name and address, but used a different phone number and email address. The *******s got $2190.00 back in May/June but were cut off because they didn't provide the necessary information, i.e. SS# and proof if identity. A quick phone call has opened a case and is now under investigation.

Also happened to sister a few months ago.

stgislander

PREMO Member
So I guess if they can't find that person, they come after you for the overpayment?

It IS Maryland after all.