Idiots on parade

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Awhile back I got a can of SPAM for old time's sake.

Yeah, barf.

Like canned chicken chow mein and Spaghetti-Os, it hasn't aged well from my youth.

PJay

Really? LOL..I guess to each their own. I've always like pan fried spam slices or pan fried spam cubes mixed in with my scrambled eggs. On the other hand..I don't care for it as it comes out of the can. Has to be fried up.

Yes, to each their own.

What I do miss is scrapple. Grandmother sliced it thin and fried it crisp. Hard to find since left MD.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Awhile back I got a can of SPAM for old time's sake.

Yeah, barf.

Like canned chicken chow mein and Spaghetti-Os, it hasn't aged well from my youth.
Damn... that's my emergency go-to. Had some just the other day. I keep a cache of the one's with the little hotdogs.

SamSpade

SPAM is a great starter ingredient, SPAM fried rice, General Tso SPAM, hot and spicy SPAM, SPAM California rolls, deep fried SPAM, SPAM salad...

I was talking to the kids at dinner the other night that some things, people do because they observed it always being done that way - like the minister who mentioned the great reverence in placing a linen cloth over the Lord's Supper at church - only to learn that it arose from the days of un-airconditioned churches and it was only put there to keep the flies off.

After a couple of stories, wife said to us, you know why I add SPAM to meat loaf? I guessed - you mean it's NOT taste, or a better way to get the meat to stick together? She said, well it does that - but grandma did it as a meat extender. It was done to save money.

I still like meat loaf with SPAM blended in.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm now wondering if the recipe for Spam has changed much over the years. With something like Coke, you could immediately tell if the formula changed. With Spam, how would you ever know?? :sshrug:

frequentflier

happy to be living
As I have been trying to use up all the panic covid foods in the freezers, I thawed some of Nick's meatloaf mix a couple days ago which consists of burger and pork. OMG! It is probably one of the best meatloaf's I have ever made and I would buy the mix again. Delish!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
As I have been trying to use up all the panic covid foods in the freezers, I thawed some of Nick's meatloaf mix a couple days ago which consists of burger and pork. OMG! It is probably one of the best meatloaf's I have ever made and I would buy the mix again. Delish!
Can't usually find it, but I like meatloaf mix that uses equal parts of beef, pork and veal. I have one package from Giant that I just took out of the freezer. I usually wind up buying the individual meats and mixing it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Can't usually find it, but I like meatloaf mix that uses equal parts of beef, pork and veal. I have one package from Giant that I just took out of the freezer. I usually wind up buying the individual meats and mixing it.

I don't know if this had veal.
I like meatloaf with a lot of green peppers and onion and also sometimes create an indentation down the middle and fill with asiago and parmesan cheese.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That's why I think SPAM ground up in meatloaf would be pretty tasty. :yay:

PeoplesElbow

I'm now wondering if the recipe for Spam has changed much over the years. With something like Coke, you could immediately tell if the formula changed. With Spam, how would you ever know?? :sshrug:
My grandpa was a WW2 vet and always use to say when a German soldier came across a dead american soldier they wouldn't bother with their weapons but would sure take their spam.

I like pan fried spam cubes mixed in macaroni and cheese, I call it spam-a-roni and cheese.

BOP

That's why I think SPAM ground up in meatloaf would be pretty tasty. :yay:
One of our Program Managers (Colonel of Marines, naturally) used to make spam chili for our annual chili cook-offs. He loved it, I always thought it was meh.