If I were forced to take a commercial flight...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...which airline would I hate the least?

My dad is turning 80 end of September and my mom wants me to be there. Plus I kind of want to be there just because all the fam will be around and I can kill a bunch of birds with one stone. Driving will be 17 hours and I'm past the age where I'd just go for it - it would take me three driving days to get there, and three to get back, which is not only mucho bucks for gas but hotel nights as well.

Flying makes sense, but I hate that chit. I love to fly, I just hate the airlines and other passengers.

OTOH, I do love a road trip, but timewise it doesn't make sense right now.

So which airline would I hate the least? Keeping in mind that I'm probably going to bail on it and drive. Although if I fly I can go, spend a couple of days, and come back home. But driving is more appealing.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The last few flights I've taken were on American, only because it was the only airline flying where I needed to go. I have no issues with American, booking was easy (did it thru Expedia), service at the terminal and on-plane were fine. Other than the holiday debacle a few weeks back where everyone was impacted, flights are usually ahead of schedule.

My single complaint is their cost. Expensive as hell, and they up-charge for every little thing. Ok, you've booked, now you want a seat? $40. And a checked bag? $35. and on and on.... I could have saved a few hundred if I opted for a 1-stop vs. non-stop, but I hate transfers in airports.

I have to admit tho, I got a terrific deal when I flew home on a Sunday morning, and got an upgrade offer via the AA app for 1st class for $90. My checked bag would have been $35, and I got free checked bags in 1st class, so my upgrade really only cost $55. And it was worth every cent for the better seating, personal attention on the plane and priority check-in.

snowygirl

I was going to fly American next month but the airline changed my flight , not a few hours but an actual day before I was supposed to fly. So be careful of that. If you get tickets too far in advance.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The one you will hate the least will be the one that gets you there the quickest and cheapest. They are all miserable cattle haulers. From your location I doubt if you can grab a direct flight. Google your departure airport, arrival airport, travel dates and see what come up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The one you will hate the least will be the one that gets you there the quickest and cheapest. They are all miserable cattle haulers. From your location I doubt if you can grab a direct flight. Google your departure airport, arrival airport, travel dates and see what come up.

I can get a misery flight on Delta for $270 RT, or upgrade to a slightly less miserable flight for $750. :roflmao:

I should just wait two years until my Mom turns 80 and make her come visit me in the meantime. My place is cooler than hers anyway.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
$500 extra for “slightly” less miserable?

I’ll stick to my truck.

GregV814

If you wanna make any airline company look good, try Spirit!!!! I've had to pop down to Tampa twice in the last months.
I think they charged me $200 to carry-on a tube of brylcreem, and billed me $30.00 for a 12 oz bottle of expired water.
The seats, suitable for an ant colony next to the bathroom, was quite uncomfortable.....

GregV814

Yeah, I guess my dumbass sister should have had the forethought to give me two days to drive down before she had her emergency open heart surgery.. I guess you knew that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, I guess my dumbass sister should have had the forethought to give me two days to drive down before she had her emergency open heart surgery.. I guess you knew that.

:rolleyes:

I was unaware that you're a heart surgeon and had to perform the emergency operation on your sister. That's pretty impressive.