If I were forced to take a commercial flight...

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Southwest is my go to. You board in pre-assigned sections and then you can choose your seat once you're on the plane - that's not assigned. And I think you can still check 1 or 2 bags for free. They're usually pretty stellar in service too. Never once had an issue with booking, service, or in flight or luggage. Their prices are always mostly average too. I like that they have a "low fare calendar" so if I'm considering a trip, I can shift it by a day or two and save some $$.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just checked for flight to son's house.

Paid $350 round trip 3 years ago.

Same flight today, $1734.

Guess it's a road trip for me.
It's usually a road trip for me too, but the last trip west for dad's internment was a quick trip, 2 days drive to get there, 2 days for the funeral, 2 days to drive back, just not worth it. The flight all said and done, flight, upgrades, parking at Regan, came in at about $1200.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm flying out to San Diego again on Sunday. I went out back in May on American (I'm a FF member). This time I'm trying Southwest. I think the airfair is approx $400 cheaper and that's with choosing Business Select, and I'm not getting hit with all the up charges.

TPD

the poor dad
A reason for flight delays. New rules passed by Congress in 2010 increased flying hours to become a commercial pilot from 250 to 1500! So now less pilots are becoming certified and those that are aren’t necessarily safer. Leave it to congress to eff sh!t up!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
...which airline would I hate the least?

My dad is turning 80 end of September and my mom wants me to be there. Plus I kind of want to be there just because all the fam will be around and I can kill a bunch of birds with one stone. Driving will be 17 hours and I'm past the age where I'd just go for it - it would take me three driving days to get there, and three to get back, which is not only mucho bucks for gas but hotel nights as well.

Flying makes sense, but I hate that chit. I love to fly, I just hate the airlines and other passengers.

OTOH, I do love a road trip, but timewise it doesn't make sense right now.

So which airline would I hate the least? Keeping in mind that I'm probably going to bail on it and drive. Although if I fly I can go, spend a couple of days, and come back home. But driving is more appealing.
The last good flight I took was Alaska Air, the plane was only about 2/3 full, had bagels and cream cheese along with surprisingly good coffee.

phreddyp

There is only one domestic airline in the U.S. and that is Southwest, all the others are just BAD jokes and wannabe's !

TPD

the poor dad

PeoplesElbow

My first real flight experience was on September 9th 2001 from Regan to Chicago to San Diego, it was American and it was actually an excellent experience. Before that it was US Air from Pittsburgh to Regan National, that was usually horrible because US Air sucks more than anything has ever sucked. Since that flight on September 9th 2001, its been all downhill.

Blister

My first flight experience was on United in the1970's, . My sister worked for United, I was about 14. Flew with her to LA on standby. We were upgraded to first class. The extremely attractive stewardess served me beer with a real meal, salad, entree', and dessert.

Every flight since then has been a disappointment.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
First flight was in 71, a 727 to Miami Florida. Absolutely great flight. Through several more times after that until the last flight I had in the early 80s. No desire to fly since then. It was becoming more trouble than it was worth even then.

They couldn’t pay me to ride in one of those sardine cans.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
They couldn’t pay me to ride in one of those sardine cans.
:lol:

My first flight was 1972, a trip to the British Virgin Islands over winter break for a Coral Reef Photography course worth 4 credits. What a boondoggle.... :lol: a week of diving and drinking for 4 credits.

Anyway, regardless of the airline you choose, if they have a phone app, download it. The updated status on flights is worth it, makes it so easy to check in, check bags, get upgrade offers, reminder notifications, etc.....