If Jazz is missing, you'll find her here ...

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
[font=arial,helvetica]Marsalis Celebrates Jazz in New Orleans[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Jazz trumpeter Wynton Marsalis kicked off a weeklong fete Monday that signals the return of high-profile jazz to New Orleans, which is still reeling from Hurricane Katrina. [/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]"We're going to kill ourselves this week to bring the spirit of jazz (back to New Orleans)," Marsalis said.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1] [/size][/font]

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:yay: I wish. :lol: I've seen Wynton in concert before with the whole clan: his dad Ellis and his brothers Branford, Delfeayo, and Jason. Absolutely awesome! :clap:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Terps said:
Jazz Fest is going to be amazing this year!!! The lineup is incredible. I hope it has a great turnout and helps the city. Is anyone going?

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

That IS an awesome lineup. :clap: I've always wanted to go but have never had the cards align so I could. Next year is looking promising though. :yay:

Uh-oh. Bruce and Keb’ Mo’ are going to be down there, kwillia! :jameo:

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Terps said:
I went back in 96 and saw Jimmy Buffet, it was so much fun. I would love to put some moeny into the New Orleans economy but doesnt look like i am going to make it. I did find this great site, its a webcast for Jazz Fest. They will be showing Jimmy Buffet's performance, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello, etc. At least if we aren't there we can pretend like we are. :alkies:

http://www.livemusicblog.com/news/06/04/20/msn-to-webcast-jazz-fest-2006.php

:yay: I doubt my crappy dial-up will be able to handle it, but I'll give it a try. But pretending isn't nearly as fun as being there. :frown:

Terps

Very true jazz lady, even if we did have the music on our computer we would still be missing the great food from all of the local vendors; shrimp poyboys, gumbo, jambalaya. YUM! No its not quite the same but at least i can have some good music to listen to while i am at work

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Terps said:
Very true jazz lady, even if we did have the music on our computer we would still be missing the great food from all of the local vendors; shrimp poyboys, gumbo, jambalaya. YUM! No its not quite the same but at least i can have some good music to listen to while i am at work

Mmm...I loved the food down there...almost as much as the music. :smile:

But good news:

Strong sales for New Orleans Jazz Fest

NEW ORLEANS - Like the city's first post-Katrina Mardi Gras and municipal election, turnout for the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival is anybody's guess.

But if early ticket sales and hotel reservations are any indication, the outlook is promising, said festival producer Quint Davis, noting walk-up ticket sales will depend largely on the weather.

:yay:

Terps

JazzLady, from this article it seems like the first weekend went pretty well down in New Orleans. I wish we had some first hand stories from people that went, I need to live vicariously through someone else's great weekend.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193561,00.html

First Post-Katrina Jazz Fest Opens in New Orleans

Saturday, April 29, 2006

NEW ORLEANS — New Orleans' music scene, languishing along with the city after Hurricane Katrina, was rejuvenated Friday as the city's annual Jazz & Heritage Festival provided electric moments from both its homegrown musical heroes and superstar acts.

The festival, the biggest music event in the city since the devastating hurricane, began its two weekend-long extravaganza with a host of musical performances from blues to rock to gospel. Thousands of fans packed the outdoors venue where the event was held, hop-scotching between several different performing stages that demonstrated the breadth of the city's diverse musical heritage.

A bit of Mardi Gras was also present — a brass band, surrounded by dancing festival-goers, snaked through the fairgrounds, its dancers waving white feathers to the beat of its booming horns.

For many musicians, Friday's kickoff was a homecoming of sorts, and helped to ease some of the pain of the last few months. Many were forced to relocate after the storm, which destroyed much of the city, leaving it only partially populated.

"It's a little bittersweet," said John Thomas Griffith, the guitarist for the New Orleans band Cowboy Mouth, which performed on Friday. The band has been on the road since Katrina, only performing in their native city occasionally.

"It's tough because a lot of my friends still don't have homes ... but I think this jazz festival is a triumphant feeling. I guess you can say we got knocked down, but we got back up."

Bob Dylan was the day's biggest name, and thousands gathered to hear what the music legend, a repeat visitor to the Jazz Fest, had to offer. He didn't disappoint. He and his band provided perhaps the best embodiment of the city's musical heritage, with a performance that melded blues, rock, folk and even hints of zydeco. Fans danced on the lawn as Dylan grunted his way through an hour-long performance of his hits, dabbling on the keyboards and occasionally playing his harmonica as he crooned hits like "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Like a Rolling Stone."

One of New Orleans' most famous musical sons, Dr. John, was the closing act on the festival's main stage. As he performed at his piano, adorned with a human skull and other reminders of the city's voodoo heritage, he crooned about his beloved city, singing: "Home sweet home, home sweet home, we gonna come back two times strong." As the crowd clapped he yelled out, "Y'all hear that?"

Others synonymous with Crescent City music — the Meters, Charmaine Neville of the Neville family, rapper Juvenile, Allen Toussaint and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band — are set to perform throughout the first weekend.

Folk singer Ani DiFranco, a Buffalo, N.Y.-native who relocated to New Orleans before the storm, was also scheduled to perform Friday. She said she hopes the festival will bring more attention to New Orleans-based artists.

"New Orleans itself, this part of the country, it's like an epicenter of music in America," she said.

Not only is New Orleans a music center, but, added Griffith, music is its center — the focal point to its colorful, exuberant image.

"A lot of people don't realize how much New Orleans depends on the music community for its soul," he said. "The general vibe of the city is music."

And some of the music world's biggest names will help celebrate it. The Dave Matthews Band, who like Dylan has played Jazz Fest before, will perform Saturday. Springsteen will be one of those closing the first weekend on Sunday evening, performing songs from his new tribute album to folk singer Pete Seeger.

Jazz Fest will continue next weekend with performances by Keith Urban, Paul Simon, Irma Thomas and Fats Domino, who has not performed in public since being evacuated from New Orleans during Katrina.