If you are done arguing about Monuments

BernieP

Resident PIA
I got one that is sure to set some people off.

Not being a lifelong Marylander or maybe it's just SOMD, I don't understand the rules of the road.

I see these signs posted on the shoulder and arrows on the ground, they indicate that the lane (Right / Left) must Turn.
But I see vehicles traveling in that lane that pass by many turns.
What is the grace period, a quarter mile, half mile, mile or more?
Is a turn count, you can pass 5 intersections (turns) before having to turn?

Please enlighten me about the use of those lanes.

Thank you

PeoplesElbow

I got one that is sure to set some people off.

Not being a lifelong Marylander or maybe it's just SOMD, I don't understand the rules of the road.

I see these signs posted on the shoulder and arrows on the ground, they indicate that the lane (Right / Left) must Turn.
But I see vehicles traveling in that lane that pass by many turns.
What is the grace period, a quarter mile, half mile, mile or more?
Is a turn count, you can pass 5 intersections (turns) before having to turn?

Please enlighten me about the use of those lanes.

Thank you

I think those are just suggestions that it is a lane for turning right as opposed to the far left lane that I see people turn right across 3 lanes of traffic all the time.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think those are just suggestions that it is a lane for turning right as opposed to the far left lane that I see people turn right across 3 lanes of traffic all the time.

No, I was referring to Left Turn Only lanes - like on base in front of 2187.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Oh you didn't know that is a passing lane?
see what I get from not being educated in SOMD, I thought "Must Turn" meant the vehicle was going to slow and turn at the next available place.
So it's the express / passing lane and I should not attempt o use it for turning>

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
see what I get from not being educated in SOMD, I thought "Must Turn" meant the vehicle was going to slow and turn at the next available place.
So it's the express / passing lane and I should not attempt o use it for turning>

Not they are really for turning except for people who think "rules are for fools" and they are special.

PeoplesElbow

Just curious what exactly is the harm of not turning at the next turn and going to the next along that stretch? I don't turn off there in my daily drive ( I do drive past it) but I see far worse ####ery coming from the people going by and using that lane as a passing lane.

Erk

I live this every day......here's how I see the lane markings, based on some basic rules of the road.
a) You are not supposed to cross a solid white line
b) 'dotted' white lines are entry points into the turn lane
c) if you are in the Left Turn Only lane you are supposed to turn at the next left. (§21–309 (h) A vehicle shall be driven within a lane described under subsection (g) of this section the shortest distance practicable prior to making a left turn.....)
d) the absence of the white line indicates an intersection, and allows cars to come out of the parking lots without violating rule (a).

I'm going to the 3rd entrance on the left. I'm not allowed to get left until the third dotted occurrence.

Many, many days I see people get left at the first entrance (near the construction) and there they are in my side mirror as I try to get over at the third legal crossing. Lo and behold they are going to the same entrance I am! To their credit, in most cases they are still doing the speed limit, just pacing me, but I have had a few OH MY moments as I start to move over to make the second entrance and somebody is overtaking me rapidly on the left.

The reason you are not supposed to get over until the just before your turn is the very reason they have a left turn lane. If you are in the left turn lane early, you may get stuck behind someone stopped waiting for 'their' exit when you are going to the next one. It's for flow control.

What I don't understand is the last little bit of the road....there is a fourth entrance very close to the third entrance...(my scale is off on the picture), but no 4th dotted 'crossing line'. I think there's not enough space for another transition area, and following rule (c) both exits are supposed to move left at the third set of dotted lines.

yeah, I think about this too much.

leftturnonly.jpg

Last edited:

Restitution

Just curious what exactly is the harm of not turning at the next turn and going to the next along that stretch?

You wind up getting the same issues that we all see on 235 every damn day.

People get into the lane 1/2 mile before their turn and those of us who are merging into that lane PROPERLY end up a) almost hitting the jackhole who has been riding in the lane forever: or b) end up holding up traffic because now we have to slow down to let the jackhole pass so we can get into the lane PROPERLY to make our turn.

Hannibal

I live this every day......here's how I see the lane markings, based on some basic rules of the road.

c) if you are in the Left Turn Only lane you are supposed to turn at the next left. (§21–309 (h) A vehicle shall be driven within a lane described under subsection (g) of this section the shortest distance practicable prior to making a left turn.....)

I'm going to the 3rd entrance on the left. I'm not allowed to get left until the third dotted occurrence.

Many, many days I see people get left at the first entrance (near the construction) and there they are in my side mirror as I try to get over at the third legal crossing.

The reason you are not supposed to get over until the just before your turn is the very reason they have a left turn lane. If you are in the left turn lane early, you may get stuck behind someone stopped waiting for 'their' exit when you are going to the next one. It's for flow control.

View attachment 119792

I believe I've captured your relevant points as being to the same issue (if not, please correct me). If so, your interpretation is off. Referencing your "note C" above, the key phrase is "shortest distance practical" ......... not shortest distance. "Practical" takes into account other variables such a road/weather conditions, existing traffic/traffic flow, etc.

The intent is to allow mainline traffic to flow unimpeded while allowing for on and off-boarding to take place in the turn lanes. The intent is NOT to use that lane as a bypass of normal traffic but you also want to make sure you don't have people trying to take an exiting turn directly (or essentially) from a travel lane.

Erk

I believe I've captured your relevant points as being to the same issue (if not, please correct me). If so, your interpretation is off. Referencing your "note C" above, the key phrase is "shortest distance practical" ......... not shortest distance. "Practical" takes into account other variables such a road/weather conditions, existing traffic/traffic flow, etc.

The intent is to allow mainline traffic to flow unimpeded while allowing for on and off-boarding to take place in the turn lanes. The intent is NOT to use that lane as a bypass of normal traffic but you also want to make sure you don't have people trying to take an exiting turn directly (or essentially) from a travel lane.

Your point is well taken as I had not considered other conditions and variables. I think all things being normal, use of the last practical (adopting your point) merge into the left turn lane is supposed to be the standard practice.
I've been living this since the facilities were built, and I've rarely seen any reason to excuse someone entering the LTO lane at the first entrance, driving to the last one, and taking a left. I don't think we disagree that's wrong, and perhaps I am just restating your point.

Good input, I'll amend my thinking on the matter with a little more forbearance based on your observations.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I live it every day too, and i don't know why people don't get over into the left turn lane ASAP either. Ok, so you are going to take the third left to shielded hanger, no need to wait till that third turn. Get out of my way so i can get up to 49MPH and get to work another exit down....

Clem72

That road in particular ends at the last left turn onto Standley road. So it's left turn only in that the road doesn't continue straight. No sign says you have to take the first left turn as soon as you enter the lane. Just like signs that say the left lane is for passing don't require you to pass in x number of seconds or yards, it just means you can't cruise in that lane.

PeoplesElbow

You wind up getting the same issues that we all see on 235 every damn day.

People get into the lane 1/2 mile before their turn and those of us who are merging into that lane PROPERLY end up a) almost hitting the jackhole who has been riding in the lane forever: or b) end up holding up traffic because now we have to slow down to let the jackhole pass so we can get into the lane PROPERLY to make our turn.

If you look at that lane from the traffic circle it is a travel lane from that point for the people coming out of the traffic circle while the right lane is the bypass lane for those coming from gate 3. There are no merge signs if the road was intended for that lane to be a left turn only road then it probably isn't done quite right.

Your complaints are 1) You may hit someone because you didn't look to change lanes or weren't aware of your surroundings and 2) have to slow down or speed up to merge?

I do admit that I get a smile on my face when someone uses that lane as a passing lane right there and a car is stopped waiting on oncoming traffic so it can make its turn.

Baker12

Its Southern Maryland, 90% of the population is hooked on either opiods or meth...obeying traffic laws is next to impossible