If you know a young lady who drives a car with Kansas plates

TPD

the poor dad
While in rural Oklahoma this past weekend, I made the comment about how low my blood pressure was while driving out there - less traffic, polite drivers, 65mph speed limits on 2 lane country roads WITHOUT shoulders, 75mph speed limits on non-interstate 4 lane highways, well maintained roads, AND NO LEFT LANE HOGS! Life was sweet for 4 days.

mamatutu

mama to two
While in rural Oklahoma this past weekend, I made the comment about how low my blood pressure was while driving out there - less traffic, polite drivers, 65mph speed limits on 2 lane country roads WITHOUT shoulders, 75mph speed limits on non-interstate 4 lane highways, well maintained roads, AND NO LEFT LANE HOGS! Life was sweet for 4 days.

Sounds Wunderbar! Welcome back to the real world! :lol:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Speed limit on a two lane road, with no pull offs and no emergency lanes, that I travel daily is 40mph. I do 40 mph, and in some sections I slow down to 35 mph - blind curves, bumpy road, deer...

If some "a-hole" comes speeding up onto my bumper and starts tailgating, flashing lights or any of that other BS, I slow down to 30 mph, maybe even less. You are welcome.

glhs837

Power with Control
Speed limit on a two lane road, with no pull offs and no emergency lanes, that I travel daily is 40mph. I do 40 mph, and in some sections I slow down to 35 mph - blind curves, bumpy road, deer...

If some "a-hole" comes speeding up onto my bumper and starts tailgating, flashing lights or any of that other BS, I slow down to 30 mph, maybe even less. You are welcome.

Sorry, but how is that related? This wasn't on Route 5 down by Point Lookout, this is a nice wide clear road with no bumps or blind curves and a 55mph limit most places. The lady in the truck who didn't pass and was therefore part of the problem, she also didn't tailgate the slow young lady. And while she did flash her high beams, it was one flash maybe two or three times out of the whole 15 mile road.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Sorry, but how is that related? This wasn't on Route 5 down by Point Lookout, this is a nice wide clear road with no bumps or blind curves and a 55mph limit most places. The lady in the truck who didn't pass and was therefore part of the problem, she also didn't tailgate the slow young lady. And while she did flash her high beams, it was one flash maybe two or three times out of the whole 15 mile road.

It's related because I said so. :neener: BTW, how do you know where I drive? Were you behind me this morning?

Anyway, I'm saying, flashing lights, tailgater, etc., make me slow down considerably out of sheer love for my fellow driver. And I'm familiar with the road.

Perhaps she's not familiar with said road, what with Kansas plates and the holiday, and perhaps she was also sharing some love for her fellow drivers. Flashing lights and not passing is a sign of an aggressive driver behind you.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I was taught something similar in drivers ed many moons ago. Passing on a double yellow was legal, provided the vehicle you were passing was going at least 10 under the limit, and you could clearly see 150 yards or more down the oncoming lane. Don't ever remember seeing anything about that in the handbook though, so I always kind of took that one with a grain of salt.
I never heard of that in driver's ed or anywhere else. The only thing that is in writing is that you cannot cross over a double yellow line.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just know most of the roads in the county :) And past a certain point, sharing love with that one driver affects far more drivers.

nutz

Just know most of the roads in the county :) And past a certain point, sharing love with that one driver affects far more drivers.

So what do you want? Her to apologize for inconveniencing you? After all, that is the only atrocity that occurred.

BTW, she's probably military so you should be thankful that she (and they) are helping to support your local economy

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
So what do you want? Her to apologize for inconveniencing you? After all, that is the only atrocity that occurred.

BTW, she's probably military so you should be thankful that she (and they) are helping to support your local economy

No, I want, in a perfect world, someone to teach her how to drive better. I don't care about the inconvenience so much as the danger. Every mile driven like that upped the odds that there was going to be stupidity that hurt someone, two people made very dangerous passes to get past the blockage. I don't give a damn if she is military or not, I cut no slack for crappy drivers who endanger others, no matter what they do for a living.

Amused_despair

No, I want, in a perfect world, someone to teach her how to drive better. I don't care about the inconvenience so much as the danger. Every mile driven like that upped the odds that there was going to be stupidity that hurt someone, two people made very dangerous passes to get past the blockage. I don't give a damn if she is military or not, I cut no slack for crappy drivers who endanger others, no matter what they do for a living.

She didn't endanger anyone, the idiots who in your words " made very dangerous passes to get past the blockage" were the ones who did the dangerous act. The speed limit is the upper linit of speed one is allowed to go, very few roads other than interstate highways have minimum speed limits. By having to drive 15 MPH slower for a 15 mile stretch the poor inconvenienced drivers lost maybe 5 minutes of their lives.

bilbur

She didn't endanger anyone, the idiots who in your words " made very dangerous passes to get past the blockage" were the ones who did the dangerous act. The speed limit is the upper linit of speed one is allowed to go, very few roads other than interstate highways have minimum speed limits. By having to drive 15 MPH slower for a 15 mile stretch the poor inconvenienced drivers lost maybe 5 minutes of their lives.

Actually there is a minimum speed limit, I cant remember if it is 10 or 15 under. There is also a law against impeding the flow of traffic but that is at the cops discretion. It is my feeling that if someone is going that slow they are obviously in no hurry to get where they are going so why wouldn't they pull over and let the drivers that just want to do the speed limit through. The attitude that everyone should do the speed that I will force them to do is rude and uncalled for. I like to go 5 or 6 mph over but I certainly wouldn't force anyone to go that speed, however, people that go that slow are forcing everyone to suffer behind them. This is another example of the me, me, me, attitude that is becoming more and more prevalent these days.

Smith

Anyway, I'm saying, flashing lights, tailgater, etc., make me slow down considerably out of sheer love for my fellow driver. And I'm familiar with the road.

Perhaps she's not familiar with said road, what with Kansas plates and the holiday, and perhaps she was also sharing some love for her fellow drivers. Flashing lights and not passing is a sign of an aggressive driver behind you.

Slowing down considerably because are trying to aggravate an aggressive driver behind you is also a form of aggressive driving.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Actually there is a minimum speed limit, I cant remember if it is 10 or 15 under. There is also a law against impeding the flow of traffic but that is at the cops discretion. It is my feeling that if someone is going that slow they are obviously in no hurry to get where they are going so why wouldn't they pull over and let the drivers that just want to do the speed limit through. The attitude that everyone should do the speed that I will force them to do is rude and uncalled for. I like to go 5 or 6 mph over but I certainly wouldn't force anyone to go that speed, however, people that go that slow are forcing everyone to suffer behind them. This is another example of the me, me, me, attitude that is becoming more and more prevalent these days.
Pot meet kettle. :eyebrow:

Smith

From the Maryland Transportation code:
§21–804(a) Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle or otherwise is in compliance with law, a person may not willfully drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Slowing down considerably because are trying to aggravate an aggressive driver behind you is also a form of aggressive driving.

Yes, it definitely is. It's passive aggressive at its finest. However, it's also a safety issue. If you are that much of an a-hole to tailgate in any situation, then when that deer, or college student, or kid, or whatever, darts out in front of me and I have to slam on my brakes, I have a better chance of survival as you plow through my car at a low rate of speed versus a higher rate.

Tailgaters terrify me. Truly terrify me.

bilbur

Yes, it definitely is. It's passive aggressive at its finest. However, it's also a safety issue. If you are that much of an a-hole to tailgate in any situation, then when that deer, or college student, or kid, or whatever, darts out in front of me and I have to slam on my brakes, I have a better chance of survival as you plow through my car at a low rate of speed versus a higher rate.

I never tailgate because no one is worth me wrecking my car I don't care how much of a jerk they are being. If I am being tailgated I get in the other lane if possible or if there isn't another lane I have pulled onto the shoulder before and let them by. It doesn't happen very often because I can usually keep up with the flow of traffic but like I said earlier nothing is worth me wrecking my car.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's also safe to not "tailgate" when stopped in traffic. Leave room. Good thing I did last month when some dunderhead was paying no attention and slammed into the back of me. Since there was extra room, I didn't get plowed into the back of the Mustang stopped in front of me.

Smith

I did not condone tailgating. I just pointed out that slowing down for the sake of aggravating the driver behind you is also aggressive. It's also worth noting that if you slow down for no reason and no brake lights (throttle lift or down-shift) the driver that is following too close will get even closer to you until he realizes what you are up to. And if you slow down for no reason using your brakes, that is called brake-checking and is a very aggressive maneuver.

kickstand

De omnibus dubitandum est
I did not condone tailgating. I just pointed out that slowing down for the sake of aggravating the driver behind you is also aggressive. It's also worth noting that if you slow down for no reason and no brake lights (throttle lift or down-shift) the driver that is following too close will get even closer to you until he realizes what you are up to. And if you slow down for no reason using your brakes, that is called brake-checking and is a very aggressive maneuver.

Two years ago I had a guy hit me from behind as I went through the light on route 5 in front of LMS and the fairgrounds. Seems that he didn't thnk I needed to slow down to the posted speed limit (45). There are ditches on either side of the road at that particular spot so I continued forward in a effort to pull over. He "bumped" me again and was screaming profanities and gesturing angrily as well. My son in law wanted and get out to beat the crap out of this guy but since we had my 9 year old son and 2 year old grandson along, I figured it would be better to call the cops than try to deal with this obviously out of control guy on the side of the road. We called 911 and gave the dispatcher the license number and a description. The dispatcher told us not to stop if the individual was still acting in the manner he was and that she was sending units to us asap. I think he (the aggressive driver) figured out we were talking to the cops because he soon dropped way back and turned down a side street. The dispatcher told us to wait on the side of the road for the deputies. As one deputy arrived the other continued to the residence of the vehicles owner. He was arrested for second degree assault, DUI and possession of drug paraphernalia. My truck wasn't damaged at all as he only hit the trailer hitch. His truck ended up with a hole in the front bumper. In court he ended up with a pretty hefty fine and 5 weekends of jail time.