If you know a young lady who drives a car with Kansas plates

glhs837

Power with Control
Please get her some training, or keep off the roads at night. I just spent 40 minutes behind her all the way from 301 to Rt 234, at 45-35 miles an hour. Mostly 40mph, though. Nevr pulled over, even after 3 vehicles did multi-car passes to get past. Must have been at least 75 or more vehicles behind us. Would have passed her myself, if there hadn't been a lady in a full size pickup, who felt it was cool to keep flashing brights at the young lady, but never passed even with many chances, between us.

Very frustrating, I musts say. If your skillset requires you to keep that far below the limit, at least have the courtesy to pull over once in a while to let the backlog clear.

kickstand

De omnibus dubitandum est
When I tow my race car to Budds Creek I routinely pull over to let others get by.

Having said that, if someone pulls up behind me and starts flashing headlights I will usually slow down. Unless your a cop or some other type of easily identifiable emergency vehicle, you aren't that important that I have to move over because you flashed your lights at me...for some reason it seems to happen around here quite a bit.

glhs837

Power with Control
When I tow my race car to Budds Creek I routinely pull over to let others get by.

Having said that, if someone pulls up behind me and starts flashing headlights I will usually slow down. Unless your a cop or some other type of easily identifiable emergency vehicle, you aren't that important that I have to move over because you flashed your lights at me...for some reason it seems to happen around here quite a bit.

But you are not travelling 15 under the limit are you?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If your skillset requires you to keep that far below the limit, at least have the courtesy to pull over once in a while to let the backlog clear.

In Alaska if you have 5 or more vehicles behind you then you must pull over to let them pass. They have pullouts on the major roads that make letting cars go past easy.

What are slow vehicle turnouts?

Slow vehicle turnouts are pull out areas designated for use by slow-moving vehicles, enabling them to pull over and allow faster traffic to pass. Signs indicate where the lane will begin and the distance before you reach it.

By law, if a slow-moving vehicle delays five or more vehicles closely behind, the driver must pull over as soon as he or she comes to a turnout lane that is adequate for their vehicle configuration to use and let traffic pass. If a vehicle is going the speed limit, it is not a slow vehicle.

photo_turnout_sign.jpg

Git over

mamatutu

mama to two
Please get her some training, or keep off the roads at night. I just spent 40 minutes behind her all the way from 301 to Rt 234, at 45-35 miles an hour. Mostly 40mph, though. Nevr pulled over, even after 3 vehicles did multi-car passes to get past. Must have been at least 75 or more vehicles behind us. Would have passed her myself, if there hadn't been a lady in a full size pickup, who felt it was cool to keep flashing brights at the young lady, but never passed even with many chances, between us.

Very frustrating, I musts say. If your skillset requires you to keep that far below the limit, at least have the courtesy to pull over once in a while to let the backlog clear.

75 vehicles! :jet: I think of those times as my patience is being tested. Like getting behind a local farmer with a wide load or in line at the grocery store with the first person having issues with coupons or a credit card. I look at it as time to reflect, remain calm, and know I will get home safely, unless I encounter another obstacle. :lol:

In our world, as we know it now, is a constant source of frustration. Got to keep the blood pressure down, y'all!

glhs837

Power with Control
But the farmer has no choice, nor does the person with a card issue. My point is really towards those who teach other drivers, which means most parents ever. Do NOT turn a driver loose in the world with a skill set so lacking. It's irresponsible.

BernieP

Resident PIA
But the farmer has no choice, nor does the person with a card issue. My point is really towards those who teach other drivers, which means most parents ever. Do NOT turn a driver loose in the world with a skill set so lacking. It's irresponsible.

But but it's their right to drive as slow as they want :sarcasm:

I'd say most, if not all farmers will pull over if they can to allow traffic to pass. Besides, those farms were here before the population so I cut them that additional slack. 101 good reasons they are on the road, none of which has to do with them being incompetent. Agree, if you are in such a state of panic that you cannot maintain a speed that does not impede traffic than you should consider NOT driving. Once came up on a car on 235 going rather slow in the middle lane - btw, worst possible place for a slow vehicle. I swore there was no driver in the car. When I passed I looked down to see the driver - she appeared to be in state of total panic, white knuckles from the tight grip on the wheel and the eyes fixed dead ahead with the look of fear.

somdwatch

According to a Truck driver friend...

You can pass on double yellow lines in MD when they are traveling below the posted speed limit. Of course, either you or the cop has to define what is "Obstruction" of traffic.

No he didn't get a ticket. This state cop who pulled him over actually listened to his story and did the homework while making him wait. Just told him to keep driving safely!

glhs837

Power with Control
According to a Truck driver friend...

You can pass on double yellow lines in MD when they are traveling below the posted speed limit. Of course, either you or the cop has to define what is "Obstruction" of traffic.

No he didn't get a ticket. This state cop who pulled him over actually listened to his story and did the homework while making him wait. Just told him to keep driving safely!

See, to me, passing more than one vehicle, barring a silly length of roadway being visually clear, that's a danger I'm not willing to take. To ominimize your time, you have to get going pretty good. At night, you will be outdriving your lights pretty quickly. On a road like say I-95, not such a big deal, on 234, huge deal.

catlingirl

Maybe she had just gotten her license and was being extra careful. Would you rather she go too fast and lose control and get in an accident. Or maybe she was looking for an address or something. I understand about how she was driving under the speed limit and could have pulled over. But still.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe she had just gotten her license and was being extra careful. Would you rather she go too fast and lose control and get in an accident. Or maybe she was looking for an address or something. I understand about how she was driving under the speed limit and could have pulled over. But still.

If she received her license with that level of "caution", our system is worse than I thought. 15-20 under the limit isn't being careful, that's paranoia. And from her patterns, creeping up to 45 downhill until she noticed, then on the brakes til she was back at 40, braking to 35 at every single turn, no matter how slight, and whenever there was oncoming traffic. I get that some folks are uncomfortable driving, especially at night. But when your caution endangers others, it's time to reevaluate. I'm not advocating a lynching here, I truly do hope someone teachers her how to drive, because as of now, she's a danger on the roadway.

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

I hate driving at night, unfortunately, I work and theres just no way to get out of it. I will travel the posted speed limit at night on Rt. 6 because I have seen so many deer on the side of the road grazing its really scary. If its raining or nasty out, I'll go 5 -10 under the posted limit. If you come up behind me and start flashing your headlights, I'm gonna slow down even more...because I cant see if you blind me with your headlights flashing. If you want to pass...be my guest. Weather conditions play a factor in determining the speed you drive. I know my limitations regarding my auto and my vision and I drive accordingly in the dark or nasty weather. Usually I travel 10 -15 over the posted limit in good weather and in the day light hours.

In Alaska if you have 5 or more vehicles behind you then you must pull over to let them pass. They have pullouts on the major roads that make letting cars go past easy.

View attachment 105743

Git over

One of the best signs I have seen and some States have good ones, as I'm sure you know.

Think it was Kansas that had some of the best.

Not actual laws, but stuff like "If you are not wearing a seat belt we hope you have good life insurance".

Here you must stay right unless passing. Like that one.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I hate driving at night, unfortunately, I work and theres just no way to get out of it. I will travel the posted speed limit at night on Rt. 6 because I have seen so many deer on the side of the road grazing its really scary. If its raining or nasty out, I'll go 5 -10 under the posted limit. If you come up behind me and start flashing your headlights, I'm gonna slow down even more...because I cant see if you blind me with your headlights flashing. If you want to pass...be my guest. Weather conditions play a factor in determining the speed you drive. I know my limitations regarding my auto and my vision and I drive accordingly in the dark or nasty weather. Usually I travel 10 -15 over the posted limit in good weather and in the day light hours.

Will you occasionally pull over to let accumulated traffic past? And go a full 20 under with clear and dry conditions? As I said, I get that folks have different comfort levels, but at some point, you should yield to let folks get on by.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
Your Truck driver friend is misinformed.

I was taught something similar in drivers ed many moons ago. Passing on a double yellow was legal, provided the vehicle you were passing was going at least 10 under the limit, and you could clearly see 150 yards or more down the oncoming lane. Don't ever remember seeing anything about that in the handbook though, so I always kind of took that one with a grain of salt.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I ended up behind a reallllllly old lady leaving the Newport News area on Saturday on Rt. 17 that was doing 25 in a 55. She was definitely a rolling hazard even though the highway was 4 lanes.

acommondisaster

I was taught something similar in drivers ed many moons ago. Passing on a double yellow was legal, provided the vehicle you were passing was going at least 10 under the limit, and you could clearly see 150 yards or more down the oncoming lane. Don't ever remember seeing anything about that in the handbook though, so I always kind of took that one with a grain of salt.

I only know that my son got a ticket for passing a slow moving car on the road out of our development (a 4 mile straight road). I'd caution anyone deciding to try this not to exceed the legal limit while doing the passing.

We have a lot of farm vehicles on the country road near our house; they always move over, as do the school buses. The biggest offenders of going well under the speed limit, braking when the wind blows or upon approaching cars are the senior citizens that live in the area. I was taught that speed wasn't the cause of accidents, variations of speed is.