Ignition key

NextJen

PREMO Member
Anyone know if I can I get one made by a regular locksmith?
It's for an old Jeep truck, so no key fob is needed.

tia!

NextJen

PREMO Member
Pretty sure you can start that with any rock lying around in the yard :) So you have the Jeep but no good key?
It was my fiance's truck. When he passed in November I inherited it. He had so many keys to so many things, but I haven't come across the key to this Jeep.

Gonna need to find the key to the riding lawn mower soon too. Was thinking maybe I could get the model and possible serial number for it and either contact Cub Cadet directly, or go to a dealer and see if I can get a key made.

glhs837

Power with Control
From what I'm seeing, that key looks a lot like what we think of as a key to a normal lock. We're used to vehicle keys having unique profiles, you might overlook it because it doesn't look like a vehicle key. in fact, looks like some of them might have "Briggs and Stratton" on them. which could be misleading. And I think you are on track with the riding mower, although going to a Sneades or other real hardware store might save you time on that also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-JEEP-WILLYS-KAISER-BRIGGS-STRATTON-GRV14-NOS-KEY-BLANKS-1947-1972/372526484148?fits=Year:1949|Model:Willys|Make:Jeep&hash=item56bc4f0ab4:g:dLsAAMXQl6pRY6JP

NextJen

PREMO Member
From what I'm seeing, that key looks a lot like what we think of as a key to a normal lock. We're used to vehicle keys having unique profiles, you might overlook it because it doesn't look like a vehicle key. in fact, looks like some of them might have "Briggs and Stratton" on them. which could be misleading. And I think you are on track with the riding mower, although going to a Sneades or other real hardware store might save you time on that also.
Thanks so much! I'll look back through what I have. I certainly could have missed it by looking for something that looked like it was a 'vehicle' key.

Gonna need to find the key to the riding lawn mower soon too.
If it's anything like a John Deere, the keys for a given series were the same. Don't know if they've changed that now. It's quite possible you can just get a replacement key.

At worst case for the Willys, those locks were not particularly complex, downright simple. You could get a whole new lock and key, replace the entire lock. Not a big deal.