I'll let the article speak ....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
THE ‘PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA’?: YOUTH FOOTBALL LEAGUE FINES TEAMS $200 WHEN THEY WIN BY 35 POINTS

Have you heard of the so-called “mercy rule”?

It keeps youth game scores artificially low by preventing more powerful teams from winning by lopsided margins.

Squads in the Northern California Federation of Youth Football often ignored the mercy rule in years past and received only warnings after violations.

“We lose a lot of football players because their teams lose so badly,” Robert Rochin, deputy commissioner for the league, told KCRA-TV. “If they are constantly getting beat, who wants to play anymore? We lose kids all season long because of that.”

[clip]

But league brass beg to differ.

“It’s teaching them compassion for the other team,” Rochin said. “It’s teaching them sportsmanship.”

Proponents say it also helps “create a level playing field” when there’s a disparity of talent between opposing teams, KCRA reported.

everyone gets a Trophy

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I hate that mentality. I don't think teams should be stacked on purpose but sometimes it's just that the other team is better than you were that day.

it is competition .... not basket weaving

if I win the $ 400 mil power ball I am remaking the Coliseum Scenes in Gladiator

take out all the killing, everybody wins :yahoo:

C

czygvtwkr

If I remember right when I played little league in the 80's the game was ended if one team was ahead by 18, it only happened once but I do remember the kids on the winning team making fun of the kids on the other team. "You suck so much they had to stop the game"

CRHS89

How about teaching kids how to accept loss gracefully, learn how to deal with disappointments, learn that life isn't always fair? I think the "no winners, no losers" mentality is really doing a disservice to kids because when they get in the real world they will lose, get disappointed, and be treated unfairly. It is important IMHO to teach coping skills for those real world situations.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
How about teaching kids how to accept loss gracefully, learn how to deal with disappointments, learn that life isn't always fair? I think the "no winners, no losers" mentality is really doing a disservice to kids because when they get in the real world they will lose, get disappointed, and be treated unfairly. It is important IMHO to teach coping skills for those real world situations.

I agree. Kids won't even try if they know there are no winners or losers, what the heck does that teach them?

oldman

Lobster Land
When I played little league and we won our manager or coach would buy us a hotdog and soda and say good game. If we lost we also got the hotdog and soda and was told we'd do better next game. Of course back then the dogs and sodas didn't cost nearly as much as they do today.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lmao: Now I have freaking heard it all. :roflmao:

How does this work for kids who are competing for athletic scholarships?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
:lmao: Now I have freaking heard it all. :roflmao:

How does this work for kids who are competing for athletic scholarships?

How does it work for the kid that gets out in the real world and finds out there are winners and losers, and you have to actually work hard for stuff, oh wait, we're raising the kids knowing they will have everything handed to them, nevermind.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Sounds like the kids took it well enough, the parents on the other hand...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Boy, how would you like to be the high school football player whose Mommy and Daddy filed a bullying complaint because your team got its ass kicked?

Or maybe that's why the team sucks so bad...