Illegal impersonates dead man, collects $88K in assistance

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Doing the work that legal Americans wouldn't dream of doing.

So just walk in and get copies of some deceased person's vital records. Then photoshop a few documents and voila, you're a citizen. I bet this isn't the only case of this happening. Any guess how many more are out there. Time to put a nationwide bounty on welfare and document fraudsters.

A Senegalese national living in Southern California pleaded guilty Thursday to impersonating a dead American citizen for 31 years to net thousands of dollars in federal, state and local government benefits, according to federal prosecutors.

Almamy Baba Ly, who was living in La Mesa, admitted in San Diego federal court to identity theft charges, acknowledging that he misused the identity of Lyle Lindsey, who died in a car accident as a toddler in 1957, to obtain identification documents.

Federal prosecutors said Ly, who was arrested in July, somehow obtained an altered copy of Lindsey’s birth certificate and used it to apply for a Social Security number, California identification card and driver’s license.

Ly also said he used Lindsey’s identity to apply for and receive more than $80,000 in federal student loans and Pell grants from 2012 until 2019, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said. In his plea agreement, Ly also admitted to applying for nutrition assistance programs, getting thousands of dollars in benefits that he was not legally entitled to receive.

Also, Ly was convicted of several crimes, including robbery and selling drugs, under Lindsey’s identity, prosecutors said.

good luck collecting the fines

littlelady

God bless the USA

So just walk in and get copies of some deceased person's vital records. Then photoshop a few documents and voila, you're a citizen. I bet this isn't the only case of this happening. Any guess how many more are out there. Time to put a nationwide bounty on welfare and document fraudsters.

Did you mean flies? The bottom line is to do with the insane leapfrogs that want all the power. They are good at catching flies. I thought sticky fly paper was a thing of the past. That is our politics, now. This crap is beyond serious, y’all. God bless the USA.

BOP

So basically, the kind of "citizen" the demonrats ❤

This_person

So, $88K over 31 years is not exactly an exciting number, but wrong none the less.

I have to wonder why people want unvetted, unknown people in our country - and then say they deserve to be here. No one, including born citizens, "deserve" to be here. We're all pretty darned lucky, and the only way to keep that luck is to keep the nation secure.