Illinois lockdown was illegal and unconstitutional

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Bailey’s lawsuit alleged that the governor had abused his powers and overstepped his authority by ordering Illinoisans to stay home and shutter their businesses because of COVID-19. The judge also clarified that the lawful authority belongs to the Health Department in a time of health crisis and not the governor. This could open the door for the Health Department to take over the authoritarian role from Governor Pritzker in directing lockdowns, but for now, all of Pritzker’s executive orders aren’t worth the paper they were printed on.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...estrict-movement-and-close-businesses-n600395

Hijinx

OMG I sure hope our health department doesn't start issuing edicts.
The Governor is bad enough, but giving power like that to the health department is unthinkable.
Anyone who has ever dealt with them knows of what I speak.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Trading one dictator for another.

I don't get that this judge is saying the lockdown itself is illegal and unconstitutional. It seems he's saying the wrong part of government implemented it. If the health department had done it, it would be legal and constitutional. And here's the rub... the Illinois Health Department Director is appointed by the governor. So, she falls under his authority.

It will be a wash.

PsyOps

Pixelated
OMG I sure hope our health department doesn't start issuing edicts.
The Governor is bad enough, but giving power like that to the health department is unthinkable.
Anyone who has ever dealt with them knows of what I speak.

Hogan appoints the health department secretary. So, I'd like to think he would do what Hogan demands.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It seems he's saying the wrong part of government implemented it. If the health department had done it, it would be legal and constitutional.

Yes for the Governor, anything over 30 days requires Illinois Statehouse Approval ....

Illinois Circuit Court Judge Mike McHaney ruled on Thursday that Governor J.B. Pritzker of Illinois had no lawful authority to declare endless disasters past the initial thirty days. Ruling on a lawsuit filed by State House Rep. Darren Bailey (R-Ill.), Judge McHaney wrote, “The court declares that Defendant had no constitutional authority as Governor to restrict a citizen’s movement or activities and/or forcibly close business premises in EO 32.”

Theoretically any Head Health Dept could, but that person would be quickly fired if they were taking liberties the Gov. did not approve of ...