I'm in a NY state of Mind...

Decided I needed supplies. Bagels. B&G products. New t-shirts. Pizza. Booked a few nights at a Marriott on LI and left last night at 11:30pm. Arrived at my favorite Italian bakery at 5:30am, a half hour before they opened. But I got my canolli and some eclairs. From there I drove to a favorite place for b'fast and had a deli egg on a roll. It was great. Down to the beach to get some salt air. Then a long drive to Orient Point, the farthest point on the North Shore of Long Island. Backtrack a bit to Greenport for a few new t-shirts. Also reminisced over the carousel in the town square by the harbor. It came from the Grumman facility at Calverton a few miles west where we had wonderful employee parties riding on it in the summer. Took a different road back towards Riverhead, got an email from my buddy, made an appointment to get together. Stopped at a very nice county park to find out if non-residents could camp. Yes!! This info is just not on their website. Making plans for the fall. Continued west into Riverhead where I stopped at a bagel store that makes the best egg bagels and ordered 2 dozen. All before 10am!!!! Met my buddy, made tentative plans for tomorrow, then headed to my high school alma mater, Port Jefferson. Walked around the harbor, got some more t-shirts. I knew a place for pizza near the harbor, stopped and got a slice. I don't care what anyone says, pizza made in NY is different and SO much better tasting than anywhere else. This slice was superb. Perfect crust, great sauce, chicken and fresh mozzarella. Back to Riverhead to check in to my hotel at about 2pm, and fell dead asleep for 2 hours. Haven't decided what to do about dinner yet.

On the down side, I drove past my old neighborhood. I had 4 acres there. It had been sub-divided, sold off, more houses built. The house and property looked awful, unkempt, tall grass, junk in the yard. Tough to see after working so hard to make it nice. And something I kept noticing all over the area.... fences. Not just nice picket fences or trimmed hedges or something, but large, tall, ugly, black iron fences that were clearly intended to say, "MINE! NOT YOURS!! KEEP OUT!!" :ohwell:

Looking forward to tomorrow, then head home on Tuesday.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I used to take the train to NYC for a weekend specifically to hit up Murray's Cheese Shop in Greenwich. So I totally get your roadtrip with bagels in mind. :yay:

frequentflier

happy to be living
I traveled upstate for my Dad's 89th Bday last week and enjoyed real buffalo wings at three different places. Did not get a chance to have real Italian food, though! Everything was so green up there for this time of the year and hot; though not as hot as MD. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip "home" although I did get a ticket in PA for 75 in a 70 in a work zone (though I really was clocked at 86!) In the trip north, PA was one work zone after another - with NO ONE working- and major traffic hassles. Coming home, zero work zones in PA but major traffic in MD in Baltimore/ DC.

Had one of my wonderful egg bagels with chive cream cheese this morning.
Unpacked all my treasures; B&G Kosher Dill pickles, sauerkraut and India relish, couple loaves of Semolina seeded Italian bread. The bagels were packed and put in the freezer, once frozen solid, they get vacuum sealed. They last forever like that.

Like usual, traffic leaving LI was terrible, but the rest of the ride wasn't bad. 7 hours total, but it was a cake walk compared to my recent trip to Arkansas, (2) 12 hour days, 3500 mi round trip. Got to see my friend, had a good time.

Oh yeah. Polly-O products too. Can't get whole milk ricotta here, or 8 oz packages of mozzarella.

WheezyCarl

Decided I needed supplies. Bagels. B&G products. New t-shirts. Pizza. Booked a few nights at a Marriott on LI and left last night at 11:30pm. Arrived at my favorite Italian bakery at 5:30am, a half hour before they opened. But I got my canolli and some eclairs. From there I drove to a favorite place for b'fast and had a deli egg on a roll. It was great. Down to the beach to get some salt air. Then a long drive to Orient Point, the farthest point on the North Shore of Long Island. Backtrack a bit to Greenport for a few new t-shirts. Also reminisced over the carousel in the town square by the harbor. It came from the Grumman facility at Calverton a few miles west where we had wonderful employee parties riding on it in the summer. Took a different road back towards Riverhead, got an email from my buddy, made an appointment to get together. Stopped at a very nice county park to find out if non-residents could camp. Yes!! This info is just not on their website. Making plans for the fall. Continued west into Riverhead where I stopped at a bagel store that makes the best egg bagels and ordered 2 dozen. All before 10am!!!! Met my buddy, made tentative plans for tomorrow, then headed to my high school alma mater, Port Jefferson. Walked around the harbor, got some more t-shirts. I knew a place for pizza near the harbor, stopped and got a slice. I don't care what anyone says, pizza made in NY is different and SO much better tasting than anywhere else. This slice was superb. Perfect crust, great sauce, chicken and fresh mozzarella. Back to Riverhead to check in to my hotel at about 2pm, and fell dead asleep for 2 hours. Haven't decided what to do about dinner yet.

On the down side, I drove past my old neighborhood. I had 4 acres there. It had been sub-divided, sold off, more houses built. The house and property looked awful, unkempt, tall grass, junk in the yard. Tough to see after working so hard to make it nice. And something I kept noticing all over the area.... fences. Not just nice picket fences or trimmed hedges or something, but large, tall, ugly, black iron fences that were clearly intended to say, "MINE! NOT YOURS!! KEEP OUT!!" :ohwell:

Looking forward to tomorrow, then head home on Tuesday.

I gain 10 lbs. whenever I visit family in Upstate NY. Every. Single. Time.