I'm looking for a Boarding facility in St. Mary's county

Nipper

I've been reading the postings for the past few days and I'm hoping some of the regulars can help me out...

I have 3 horses and I'm looking for a boarding facility in St. Mary's county. We'd need a place to ride and if possible the opportunity to take a lesson. What are the good places (and places to avoid) ... prefer honest opinions especially if you've boarded there.

Thanks

2baymares

Nipper said:
I've been reading the postings for the past few days and I'm hoping some of the regulars can help me out...

I have 3 horses and I'm looking for a boarding facility in St. Mary's county. We'd need a place to ride and if possible the opportunity to take a lesson. What are the good places (and places to avoid) ... prefer honest opinions especially if you've boarded there.

Thanks

Full care / Self care? Indoor riding / Trails / Jumping / Showing???? What ya lookin for?

2baymares

hollywoman said:
Glenn Mary Stables on Rt5 in Great Mills (hermanville RD)

Glen Mary is Excellent. 200 acreas. a mile of waterfront. several barns w/large stalls. Great for all disciplines of riding. And it is a Gorgeous Farm!! :huggy:

Nipper

With our schedules, full care would work best... knowledgeable caregivers is essential. We ride english and enjoy showing hunters and equitation.
An indoor would be nice but not a requirement... good footing is key.

Not sure what the going rate is in this area... In the past we've paid as little as $250 a month per horse and gotten fantastic care ... to as high as $1500 per month per horse near the city. What's the "normal" rate around here and what does it include?

Glen Mary sounds wonderful and convenient... thanks for the suggestion! Do you happen to know if it's licensed? and do they have openings?

Loper

Animal Poor!
Nipper said:
With our schedules, full care would work best... knowledgeable caregivers is essential. We ride english and enjoy showing hunters and equitation.
An indoor would be nice but not a requirement... good footing is key.

Not sure what the going rate is in this area... In the past we've paid as little as $250 a month per horse and gotten fantastic care ... to as high as $1500 per month per horse near the city. What's the "normal" rate around here and what does it include?

Glen Mary sounds wonderful and convenient... thanks for the suggestion! Do you happen to know if it's licensed? and do they have openings?

Glen Mary is a beautiful farm and they are licensed but I believe they only offer self care. You can PM me if you want the number of the farm manager.

here's a list of all licensed stables in MD just scroll down to St Mary's county. I know there are a few people on here that board at Holly Point and I know the owner of Foxyre farm... Not sure if she has any openings. :howdy:

http://www.marylandhorseindustry.org/Stables07.htm

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Poor Charles & Calvert Counties. :bawl: Rarely do people post looking for a place to board & take lessons there.

No honestly here is a list from the Equiery for places in St. Mary's.
http://www.equiery.com/ridingBoardingStables.php#SM
Some of the farms have in house trainers & others allow clients to bring outside trainers in to teach.

Welcome to the neighborhood. :howdy:

Nipper

Thanks so much!! I appreciate all the help.

Question... is a boarding facility in Maryland required to be licensed or is it just one of those "for good measure" kind of things?

Loper

Animal Poor!
Nipper said:

Question... is a boarding facility in Maryland required to be licensed or is it just one of those "for good measure" kind of things?

Required...

fredsaid2

Nipper said:

Is the license important to you? If so it narrows your choices a bit. Maryland must not update their list very often, one barn listed closed over a year ago and one shows on old location. Makes me wonder if the licenses are current.

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
fredsaid2 said:
Is the license important to you? If so it narrows your choices a bit. Maryland must not update their list very often, one barn listed closed over a year ago and one shows on old location. Makes me wonder if the licenses are current.

The linked list is last year's list, but the licenses have been issued for this year (July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008). Usually you'll find the license posted in the most public place at the barn. The list of stables in the Equiery includes both licensed and unlicensed stables in all the counties. :howdy:

fredsaid2

Unbelievable said:
The linked list is last year's list, but the licenses have been issued for this year (July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008). Usually you'll find the license posted in the most public place at the barn. The list of stables in the Equiery includes both licensed and unlicensed stables in all the counties. :howdy:

Gotcha, but the license expires Jun 30th. The two I mentioned, one should have been dropped from the list and the other revised. Why I wonder if the rest are truly current.

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
fredsaid2 said:
Gotcha, but the license expires Jun 30th. The two I mentioned, one should have been dropped from the list and the other revised. Why I wonder if the rest are truly current.

If it's important, the person can always ask to see the license if they visit the farm or ask if the farm is licensed when they call for information. :howdy:

G

GVF

where are you looking at? I have opening at my place in Brandywine. Nice small semi private farm. lots of trails, ring with full course of jumps and I have openings now. Feel free to contact me off the list if interested: www.goldenventurefarm.com
If we are too far, I wish you good luck in finding the right place.

Loper

Animal Poor!
fredsaid2 said:

well if the stable is "boarding, renting, training, more than 5 horses" it is supposed to be licensed. I'm not sure how often they update the list... :howdy: 2007 list was all I could find.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
This question comes up a lot. :howdy: You are more than welcome to come out to the Holly Point Show on Sunday to see the place. They also board. I am not certain if they are taking any boarders right now or how many openings they have. It is a beautiful place. If you do a search for thread starters asking about boarding facilities many of the wonderful places around here will come up. :yay:

Carefulone

Also, if you're selling horses, good or bad, you're supposed to be licensed. If you call yourself a boarding or breeding facility and sell horses, you're to be licensed.

It's actually a great license, can help keep track of any stable that sells bunk horses, you can even put complaints in on the condition of the animals at the facilities....underfed, sickly, or unsafe conditions for horses and people who may be taking lessons....

Last edited:

showqueen74

I spoke with the BM at Flat Iron, and if you still need full care, and don't want the hustle of lessons and kids there is a seperate barn available. It has 4 stalls, with a locking tack area and (i think) its own feed room. This barn is away from everything and could be all to your own. PM me if you'd like contact info. Vicky