I'm new to Fishing...need help and ideas!!!

BillnChristi

ok..I am new to really fishing. I've been a few times throughout my life but haven't really been into it much. I hadn't caught a fish since I was about 7 or 8 years old. My son and daughter are visiting up from Florida and they had talked about wanting to go fishing. So 2 weeks ago we went out and bought some fishing poles, tackle, blood worms and some squid strips and off we went.

We started the first day on Clarkes landing and didn't catch anything. We just lost a few rigs due to me not knowing how to tie a hook right. LOL. Anyways, I decided to go to the tackle box and get some better tackle and the correct way to tie and bait a hook or rig. They were awesome by the way. They answered my questions totally and were very professional. The 2nd day we decided to try Greenwell State Park. To our dismay, the only thing we caught was a 6" male blue crab. Somehow my daughter had managed to hook it right behind the backfin without it getting off. I still say that was the luckiest thing I have ever seen. On Tuesday nite we decided we would try Point lookout. It was so windy that nite and with the amount of people there...lines were getting tangled. I was the only one to catch anything and it was a 10" croaker. After about 4 hours there, we decided to call it quits. Now I am looking to take them out early Saturday morning around 4 or 5 am. My questions to you are as follows:

1. Where is the best place to go around that time where it isn't too crowded?

2. What bait should I use?

3. What type of rigs should I use? we are currently using bottom rigs and I am not sure if we are doing it right. I hear top rigs work good at times but I am not sure how to set them up.

4. We are doing this for fun and plan on catching and releasing..but we would like to catch a fish or two. So any help, suggestions, websites or just typed comments are greatly appreciated.

If anyone would like to join us and give us some pointers, any fish we catch is yours..LOL. We just want to have a good time and the kids are getting discouraged not catching anything.

Once again...any and I mean ANY type of help is greatly appreciated. We are just surf or pier fishing and don't have access to a boat. So please keep that in mind when making suggestions. We are willing to drive about an hour or so away and my wife and I only have salt water licenses. We may look into getting freshwater licenses in the future. If anyone also knows where we can rent a boat that would be good also. We plan on making a day of it on Saturday, with a boat or without.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Richard Cranium

Tell you what.....whenever you have some free time and want to have some fun fishing, PM me.

Do you have base access? What size pole and tackle are you using?

Try a 2oz weight on a bottom rig with fishbites (artificial bloodworm). I've caught croaker and spot on that. There are several great places to go that aren't crowded at all.

There's a myriad of species to catch around here.

Last edited:

BillnChristi

Richard Cranium said:
Tell you what.....whenever you have some free time and want to have some fun fishing, PM me.

Do you have base access? What size pole and tackle are you using?

Try a 2oz weight on a bottom rig with fishbites (artificial bloodworm). I've caught croaker and spot on that. There are several great places to go that aren't crowded at all.

There's a myriad of species to catch around here.

Yes, I have base access..but being a contractor I can't get the kids on without a civil service or military sponsor.

currently I have several poles. A couple surf, about 10' long (just cheap walmart poles) one 8' surf and a couple 6 footers for the kids. I am using bottom rigs that I bought already set up from the tackle box.

Thanks for you help...I will send you a pm with my contact info

BillnChristi said:
ok..I am new to really fishing. I've been a few times throughout my life but haven't really been into it much. I hadn't caught a fish since I was about 7 or 8 years old. My son and daughter are visiting up from Florida and they had talked about wanting to go fishing. So 2 weeks ago we went out and bought some fishing poles, tackle, blood worms and some squid strips and off we went.

We started the first day on Clarkes landing and didn't catch anything. We just lost a few rigs due to me not knowing how to tie a hook right. LOL. Anyways, I decided to go to the tackle box and get some better tackle and the correct way to tie and bait a hook or rig. They were awesome by the way. They answered my questions totally and were very professional. The 2nd day we decided to try Greenwell State Park. To our dismay, the only thing we caught was a 6" male blue crab. Somehow my daughter had managed to hook it right behind the backfin without it getting off. I still say that was the luckiest thing I have ever seen. On Tuesday nite we decided we would try Point lookout. It was so windy that nite and with the amount of people there...lines were getting tangled. I was the only one to catch anything and it was a 10" croaker. After about 4 hours there, we decided to call it quits. Now I am looking to take them out early Saturday morning around 4 or 5 am. My questions to you are as follows:

1. Where is the best place to go around that time where it isn't too crowded?

2. What bait should I use?

3. What type of rigs should I use? we are currently using bottom rigs and I am not sure if we are doing it right. I hear top rigs work good at times but I am not sure how to set them up.

4. We are doing this for fun and plan on catching and releasing..but we would like to catch a fish or two. So any help, suggestions, websites or just typed comments are greatly appreciated.

If anyone would like to join us and give us some pointers, any fish we catch is yours..LOL. We just want to have a good time and the kids are getting discouraged not catching anything.

Once again...any and I mean ANY type of help is greatly appreciated. We are just surf or pier fishing and don't have access to a boat. So please keep that in mind when making suggestions. We are willing to drive about an hour or so away and my wife and I only have salt water licenses. We may look into getting freshwater licenses in the future. If anyone also knows where we can rent a boat that would be good also. We plan on making a day of it on Saturday, with a boat or without.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Have you thought about a 1/2 day boat out of Solomons? They'd provide all the gear, bait, help and they know where to go. This time of year you are just about guaranteed to get some spot and croaker. Other than that the fishing pier under Solomons bridge would be a good bet.

BillnChristi

desertrat said:
Have you thought about a 1/2 day boat out of Solomons? They'd provide all the gear, bait, help and they know where to go. This time of year you are just about guaranteed to get some spot and croaker. Other than that the fishing pier under Solomons bridge would be a good bet.

No, I haven't tried solomons. How much do they normally run? I can't afford a lot but if it's reasonable, I can definitely swing it. do you have any contact info for who to call?

I have heard about the pier at solomons, just haven't tried it yet. That may be an idea for Saturday also.

BillnChristi said:
No, I haven't tried solomons. How much do they normally run? I can't afford a lot but if it's reasonable, I can definitely swing it. do you have any contact info for who to call?

I have heard about the pier at solomons, just haven't tried it yet. That may be an idea for Saturday also.
Less than you've spent so far, I'll bet. :lmao:
Looks like I was wrong about the bait, at least with these guys.
Bunkys 410 326 3241
HEAD BOAT: Please call 24 hours prior to desired departure to check availability

5 hours:
Days:

Times:

Monday:
$40 per person
Thursday - Sunday

7am - 12 noon & 3pm-8pm

7am - 12 noon (am trip only)

$5 Rod Rental - Bait Not Included.
Head Boat is based upon availability and not guaranteed to sail

unixpirate

Pitty Party
BillnChristi said:

Do you know where Myrtle Point is? Nice beach for the kids to play. Take your cooler and sandwiches.

I take my Pup, 2 poles, a chair, tackle, cooler with eats and drinks. Stay half day or so and get my tan on. :yay:

I was their last weekend. Couldn't bring the hooks in fast enough. The croaker were jumping on the hooks. I was using squid cut in strips. 2 oz weight.

BillnChristi

unixpirate said:
Do you know where Myrtle Point is? Nice beach for the kids to play. Take your cooler and sandwiches.

I take my Pup, 2 poles, a chair, tackle, cooler with eats and drinks. Stay half day or so and get my tan on. :yay:

I was their last weekend. Couldn't bring the hooks in fast enough. The croaker were jumping on the hooks. I was using squid cut in strips. 2 oz weight.

I've heard of Myrtle Point but not sure where it is. Directions would be awesome and it sounds like a great place to take the kids.

thanks for everyone's input so far. That is one reason why I like this site so much. Everyone can be so helpful. Thanks again everyone. Anyone who feels like posting, I will definitely come back and read.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
BillnChristi said:
I've heard of Myrtle Point but not sure where it is. Directions would be awesome and it sounds like a great place to take the kids.

thanks for everyone's input so far. That is one reason why I like this site so much. Everyone can be so helpful. Thanks again everyone. Anyone who feels like posting, I will definitely come back and read.

I'll be out their Saturday. You'll know me cause I'll have my Pup Pup.

She's a brindle boxer. :huggy:

You have two parking lots. Go to the right, you will see a sign that says beach access. Straight ahead you'll see picnic tables and a recycle bin. Head that way to the main trail.
When you get on the main trail, go left at the bottom. Follow that trail around to the point. It's a nice walk. You will come around on the trail a turn, 3/4 of the way and you have to walk down now to the beach again.
:yay:

Fred Prince

I know of a private area on the Bay near Prince Frederick.
The entire area is pretty shallow for a long way out, so swimming is safe too...i wouldnt recommend walking around with bare feet though.
Lately i've been catching Croaker, Spot and Blue's with bloodworms...havent seen a Rock in over a month though.
It's usually best in the morning or later in the day...tide only seems to matter for the bigger Rocks, high tide is good for them off the beach, everything else here seems to bite regardless of tide. There's usually only 1-2 ft difference between high and low anyway.
I use a 12 ft rod, bottom rig, 3 oz weight and bloodworms. They cost about $8 a doz at walmart but they work well.
You dont really need a 12ft rod but i like to put it out there as far as i can.
I've seen others catch just as many fish closer in than i cast.
Also, a 3-4ft length of 2" diameter pvc pipe driven into the sand works well for a rod holder...just in case that big Rockfish cruises through, you wont lose your rod and reel!

Shoot me a pm if you want to check it out as a guest.