I'm not buying this

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Over the last couple of years I've developed an alcohol intolerance - even one beer makes me sick - and not being able to sit in bars listening to music, watching TV, socializing, and drinking a few beers has made me crazy. Now I have to be judicious with my favorite pasttime and that beer has to really be worth it.

luvmygdaughters

I can only speak for myself...me having a few glasses of wine in the evening has not affected my mental health at all...in fact, it has beneficial qualities, for example, its improved my husbands chances of living quite a bit!!!:buddies:

SamSpade

Interesting you say you've developed an alcoholic intolerance - me too. Just a little alcohol makes my guts ache. I stay away from alcohol mainly because it's just not worth the pain.

I do however very much believe something ELSE affects my mental health - sleep deprivation, including sleeping with a TV or lights on.
Makes a BIG difference.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I have found that I will get a severe headache on occasion after having no more than 2 beers. However, I like to try all different types of brew, so I wonder if it may be more of a reaction to certain hops or other ingredients?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have found that I will get a severe headache on occasion after having no more than 2 beers. However, I like to try all different types of brew, so I wonder if it may be more of a reaction to certain hops or other ingredients?
Only two Anheuser Busch products downed and I can get a headache. Three or four..headache is guaranteed. 12 Coronas...not the slightest hint of a headache or other bad feelings. So yeah...there is definitely a lot of difference between beers.

Grumpy

Draft beer gives me headaches.

I get headaches from ale, and my stomach bothers me after any alcohol. I've pretty much stopped all of it.

And I thought I was in a small minority. Appears not so.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Over the last couple of years I've developed an alcohol intolerance - even one beer makes me sick - and not being able to sit in bars listening to music, watching TV, socializing, and drinking a few beers has made me crazy. Now I have to be judicious with my favorite pasttime and that beer has to really be worth it.

I don't think it's news. I like my drink as much as anyone, but I know there are side effects. It does affect brain chemistry, for people prone to depression it's probably not a good thing. Notice I said people, not familiar with mental health statistics to know which gender is hit the hardest with which disorder. Not sure you could get an accurate number either as it would only be based on those in treatment (diagnosed). There are lots of people who simply won't go to a psychiatrist, which is the only proper way to get the diagnosis.

Anecdotal, we all know there are different types of drunks, some people get happy, some get sad and some get freaking nasty.

My go to drink for the longest time was gin and tonic, with a lime. Basically it was tonic water and lime. I was the "enforcer" for a group of friends that would go out to dance and all. If some guy started to creep them out, my job was to make sure it stopped. Even now, Ill have club soda and lime if I don't feel like drinking, I would say most bartenders understand, always claim you are the DD and get the benefits

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

luvmygdaughters

We attended a memorial service yesterday for a family member, after the service, they had a gathering at a local watering hole. I had 1 and 1/2 beers. I just could not get that 2nd beer down and honestly, it just didnt taste good to me... and I used to be a beer drinker.

Wine on the other hand.:whistle:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We attended a memorial service yesterday for a family member, after the service, they had a gathering at a local watering hole. I had 1 and 1/2 beers. I just could not get that 2nd beer down and honestly, it just didnt taste good to me... and I used to be a beer drinker.

Wine on the other hand.:whistle:
The Hole?