I'm not starting a wedding thread....

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
but I have a question about wedding invitations and etiquette....

If his mom and my mom and dad and stepmom are helping to foot the bill, do we need to acknowledge them on the invitation?

His dad died earlier this year and he doesn't want to write anything saying "the late...." but he doesn't want his mom's name alone. Then we get in to my dad and his wife, plus my mom, all chipping in to help us pay for this shin-dig. I feel like if they're helping to pay, they should be recognized on the invitation, but I'm soooo confused as to what is proper....

What is the proper way to word these particular invitations?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Ehesef said:

If his mom and my mom and dad and stepmom are helping to foot the bill, do we need to acknowledge them on the invitation?

His dad died earlier this year and he doesn't want to write anything saying "the late...." but he doesn't want his mom's name alone. Then we get in to my dad and his wife, plus my mom, all chipping in to help us pay for this shin-dig. I feel like if they're helping to pay, they should be recognized on the invitation, but I'm soooo confused as to what is proper....

I have seen "The families of (insert bride and groom here) invite you...."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd put their names, but not necessarily "the late" in front of groom-dad. Anyone whose business it is will know he passed away. And he'll be there in spirit anyway. :shrug:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Aren't weddings fun:jet:

Take your time and play with the words but you'll find something to include all of them that looks and sounds perfect!

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
vraiblonde said:
I'd put their names, but not necessarily "the late" in front of groom-dad. Anyone whose business it is will know he passed away. And he'll be there in spirit anyway. :shrug:

:yeahthat:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
vraiblonde said:
I honestly don't think he wants his dad mentioned at all, during the ceremony or at the reception. He said he doesn't want to make people sad on such a happy day. I'm going to try to talk him out of that. I think that it should be a day for remembering the people we love that aren't there.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Ehesef said:
I honestly don't think he wants his dad mentioned at all, during the ceremony or at the reception. He said he doesn't want to make people sad on such a happy day. I'm going to try to talk him out of that. I think that it should be a day for remembering the people we love that aren't there.
His father was very well liked. Maybe your fiance just doesn't want to think about him not being there physically. That may change with time.

A friend's father died of cancer 3 months before her wedding. At the reception they displayed several framed pictures of him with the family, to include his memory. He was part of the celebration.

Congratulations and good luck to you both. :huggy:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Ehesef said:
When my niece got married, in the church the priest said, "let's all please remember the dearly departed who are with us on this joyous day" and then he named the bride's grandparents who had passed and the groom's mother who had passed. I thought it was very, very nice. After that, all was forgotten and we partied.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
For my son's wedding, I did the program and we decided to put

"The altar flowers are in loving memory of (deceased's name),
father of the groom."

I looked around for different ways to acknowledge his dad and this was one everyone agreed to. After the ceremony, my son's dad's family thanked us for the acknowledgement.

CMC122

Go Braves!
cattitude said:
For my son's wedding, I did the program and we decided to put

"The altar flowers are in loving memory of (deceased's name),
father of the groom."

I looked around for different ways to acknowledge his dad and this was one everyone agreed to. After the ceremony, my son's dad's family thanked us for the acknowledgment.
That's a beautiful idea.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Ehesef said:

You are so starting a wedding thread and as it gets closer you'll be starting more and more of them! :jameo: :lmao:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
pixiegirl said:
You are so starting a wedding thread and as it gets closer you'll be starting more and more of them! :jameo: :lmao:
Nu-uh! This is strictly an invitation etiquette question.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Ehesef said:
:yeahthat: That sounds like the best so far.

We talked about the picture at the altar...or some other more obvious remembrance. After discussing it, we decided that everyone would read the program, notice the little blurb and remember him in their own way without really going overboard and casting a sadness over the wedding.