I'm turning into my mother

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Last night Monello and I had dinner at Ruby Tuesday. I've gotten it into my head that I want a "neighborhood" place to eat and drink at, maybe become a regular or something. "NORM!" Not sure why I think that, but I'm sure it will pass.

Anyway, we both had ribs, of which we ate half and brought the other half home. Strike 1.

This afternoon I realized that I had a 50% off coupon that I forgot to use, so back we go for dinner tonight so I can use my coupon. Strike 2.

We had dinner around 6pm. Strike 3. (And again ate half and brought the rest home)

So now I am officially old. We're almost Early Bird diners, worrying about coupons, and getting doggie bags. I used to tease my Mom mercilessly for those exact same things. "Good grief, who eats dinner at 5 in the afternoon??" "Does saving $6 really dictate where you're going to eat??" "Who the hell can't eat a normal plate of dinner??"

I can't wait to tell my daughter about this! :lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Last night Monello and I had dinner at Ruby Tuesday. I've gotten it into my head that I want a "neighborhood" place to eat and drink at, maybe become a regular or something. "NORM!" Not sure why I think that, but I'm sure it will pass.

Anyway, we both had ribs, of which we ate half and brought the other half home. Strike 1.

This afternoon I realized that I had a 50% off coupon that I forgot to use, so back we go for dinner tonight so I can use my coupon. Strike 2.

We had dinner around 6pm. Strike 3. (And again ate half and brought the rest home)

So now I am officially old. We're almost Early Bird diners, worrying about coupons, and getting doggie bags. I used to tease my Mom mercilessly for those exact same things. "Good grief, who eats dinner at 5 in the afternoon??" "Does saving $6 really dictate where you're going to eat??" "Who the hell can't eat a normal plate of dinner??"

:jet:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My husband and I have been in this rut for a few years now. The plus about going before 6 p.m. is you do beat the rush and leftovers make great next day lunches. :shrug:

Bann

PREMO Member
Truth be told, I've gone to dinner early for years and years - because of Thing1. When he was finally older (I'm talkin' middle to high school) and we could go places later in the afternoon, he still always had difficulty with long wait times, and crowded places. Then again - so did *I*. My tolerance level for foolishness got really low the longer the day went. Forget those notifying beeper thingys they give you when you have to wait long times - we couldn't wait that long. :lol:

Now we don't have to go too early because of him - we go early because of us. :lol:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Can't have early bird here, even if you go early, you'll be waiting because the place is already full of the old folks having their early bird. Snowbird season is coming to an end so we won't have to worry about that too much any more.

belvak

Happy Camper

OMG!! I'm your mother??? :jameo:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I've gone to dinner at 4:30pm before because that's when I'm hungry. :lol:

I've done that before, sometimes too busy to eat lunch, then realize the day has flown by and I'm hungry. If I get hungry later, I'll have a snack. I don't get why eating an early dinner makes you an old person. I met a woman here once, she wasn't old, was in really good shape and she told me she never eats anything after 4:30 pm and that's just how she's been most of her life. Thought that was interesting.

JeJeTe

Happiness
I've done that before, sometimes too busy to eat lunch, then realize the day has flown by and I'm hungry. If I get hungry later, I'll have a snack. I don't get why eating an early dinner makes you an old person. I met a woman here once, she wasn't old, was in really good shape and she told me she never eats anything after 4:30 pm and that's just how she's been most of her life. Thought that was interesting.

Exactly. You can drink and eat cheaper becuase it's happy hour pricing.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
:lmao: This is me at 33...can you imagine 53? Dinner will be at 11am.

That's how my grandmother is :ohwell: she goes into a panic when we host holidays at my mother's, who compromises and serves at 2pm. Grandma is hosting this Sunday and Easter "dinner" is already ruined for me since we'll be sitting down to an overcooked lamb and bland veggies around 11:30 am :dead: :lol:

This is probably why I don't eat anything all day until maybe 2-3pm and usually start making dinner at 8pm. I'm pretty sure my grandmother thinks this is why I'm not married :lmao:

JeJeTe

Happiness
That's how my grandmother is :ohwell: she goes into a panic when we host holidays at my mother's, who compromises and serves at 2pm. Grandma is hosting this Sunday and Easter "dinner" is already ruined for me since we'll be sitting down to an overcooked lamb and bland veggies around 11:30 am :dead: :lol:

This is probably why I don't eat anything all day until maybe 2-3pm and usually start making dinner at 8pm. I'm pretty sure my grandmother thinks this is why I'm not married :lmao:

:lol: I can't eat that late. I like eating early. Lunch for me is usually at 11 so by 4 I'm ready for dinner.

lovinmaryland

Youre almost my mother....except they dont order meals each. They split a meal. WHO DOES THAT??? You cant tell me you're satisfied w/ half a sandwhich or 1/2 a steak 1/2 a salad 1/2 a potato :burning:

KDENISE977

:lol: I can't eat that late. I like eating early. Lunch for me is usually at 11 so by 4 I'm ready for dinner.

I'm the same way... I'm old, if we are busy and dinner is at like 6:30 I'm all :jameo: noooo.... kids gotta get a bath and get to bed on time !!!!

PeoplesElbow

My old lady and I have always eaten early, we are both usually hungry any time of the day, ever since our early 20's. Eating dinner early helps my acid reflux and prevents me from waking up in the middle of the night with the feeling of drinking lava.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Youre almost my mother....except they dont order meals each. They split a meal. WHO DOES THAT??? You cant tell me you're satisfied w/ half a sandwhich or 1/2 a steak 1/2 a salad 1/2 a potato :burning:

I only eat half of what I order. But hubby eats the other half for me, giving him a meal and a half, so it doesn't go home with us.

Gotta save room for DESSERT!!!

Bann

PREMO Member

Yeah but, the portions at most restaurants these days are way bigger than what a regular portion should be though, so that makes sense. (and they can save money that way!) Most restaurant steak portions are double and triple what one serving is (3oz). A slice of bread is one serving, so a half sandwich is really a whole serving. Heck, our servings at home are bigger than they need to be in order to be healthy.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/multimedia/portion-control/sls-20076148?s=1