IMHO... Peter didn't have a clue either...

seekeroftruth

Mark 8:27 Jesus and his disciples went on to the villages around Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them, “Who do people say I am?
28 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.
29 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Peter answered, “You are the Messiah.”
30 Jesus warned them not to tell anyone about him.
31 He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. 32 He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
33 But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

So, Peter didn't have a clue either.

I have always wondered why Peter gets all the applause when I think he was just putting Jesus on when he told Jesus "You are the Messiah.".

I've always considered it a miracle that the Disciples were all Believers. Judas certainly turned coat, were there others? Peter could have been putting Jesus on. After all, like Judas, he was certainly quick to turn coat and deny Jesus. Of course, Jesus would have known that, because Jesus could read human minds and hearts.

Was Peter really saying "sure, sure, you're the son of god and I'm the king of Siam.... now won't you just stop asking who you are? You're the healer. No one will deny that. We won't get arrested over that." Was Peter trying to get Jesus to change his tune in order to avoid getting arrested?

I think Jesus had a soft spot for humans. Otherwise, He would have [should have in my opinion] zapped them on the spot for their ignorance. Maybe a jolt of Godly lightning would have sharpened them up.

Remember, Mark, the man who wrote this Gospel, was not a disciple. He was a follower, but not one of the chosen twelve. AND when this same man, known as John Mark to those in his day, shows up in the Book of Acts, he will cause trouble between Paul and Barnabus. So, was Mark [John Mark in the Book of Acts and author of this Gospel] writing about witnessing a confession? OR.... was he reporting that Peter was just saying what Jesus wanted to hear?

I think there were a lot of people who respected Jesus as a healer. I don't think His followers thought of Him as the Messiah.... yet. Sure, He could be quite the magician. He knew weather really well. He could make the wind and waves die down. But the Messiah???? Did they really Believe or did they just Follow because of His Presence? One thing for sure, they weren't in it for the money. Jesus never passed the hat.

Peter might have been placating Jesus. After all, Jesus might have been testing the time line. He was there on a Mission. Jesus was there to conquer death. He already knew He was going to the Cross. He was trying to explain that to the Disciples so they wouldn't freak out and drop everything and scatter when it happened. He wanted them to stick together and teach "Love God and Love One Another".

Peter might have been warning Jesus about making the Pharisees, Sadducees, Elders, and Teachers of the Law angry. Peter might have known how upset Jesus was about murder of His cousin, John the Baptist. Peter might have been trying to calm Jesus down. Jesus was on a Mission and Peter didn't really have a clue... right?

IMHO... Peter didn't have a clue.

:coffee: