Imitrex

Nanny Pam

I started getting really bad headaches so the Doc put me on Imitrex. Now these headaches only happen around 3 times a month, but like I said, they're worse then the normal annoying headache.

Does anyone take this drug, Imitrex? Do you have any problems tolerating it? Side effects? I'd rather suffer thru the headache then take this stuff again! I took 1 about 2 weeks ago and took one yesterday. The side effects are almost crippling. The very first time the side effects were bad, but not as bad as yesterday.

Just curious to see if others are having the same issues.

flushing (worse than menopause)
feeling of heaviness (especially in my arms from wrist to elbow)
drowsiness
dizziness
muscle cramps (stomach, legs)
tightness in chest and throat
sudden stomach pain
fast heartbeat
difficulty breathing
change in vision
extreme weakness

Pete

Repete
I started getting really bad headaches so the Doc put me on Imitrex. Now these headaches only happen around 3 times a month, but like I said, they're worse then the normal annoying headache.

Does anyone take this drug, Imitrex? Do you have any problems tolerating it? Side effects? I'd rather suffer thru the headache then take this stuff again! I took 1 about 2 weeks ago and took one yesterday. The side effects are almost crippling. The very first time the side effects were bad, but not as bad as yesterday.

Just curious to see if others are having the same issues.

flushing (worse than menopause)
feeling of heaviness (especially in my arms from wrist to elbow)
drowsiness
dizziness
muscle cramps (stomach, legs)
tightness in chest and throat
sudden stomach pain
fast heartbeat
difficulty breathingchange in vision
extreme weakness

I cannot take it. In the ER one night long ago suffering form a crippling migrane they decided to use this intead of percocet. Within minute I could barely breath. Amazing how many people come out of the wood work in an ER at 2am when someone can't breathe. :lol: I was old not to even take it or allow it to be administered again.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Horrible stuff. Didn't do a thing for me.

Doc gave me fioricet. miracle drug. can be taken as an abortive, or as a daily prevention..I just take it as an abortive, it begins to relieve my migraines within probably 15-20 min. Love the stuff. There is another version with codiene I keep on hand as well in case it is a reallllly bad one. I havent had to take it yet, the reg version is wonderful. not a single side effect.

CRHS89

I used to take imitrex. I didn't have the trouble breathing you mentioned, but I did feel weird...kind of numb all over like I was drinking. I decided that I would just stick with excedrin or deal with the headache rather than feel that way. It did get rid of the headache though...

Nanny Pam

Horrible stuff. Didn't do a thing for me.

Doc gave me fioricet. miracle drug. can be taken as an abortive, or as a daily prevention..I just take it as an abortive, it begins to relieve my migraines within probably 15-20 min. Love the stuff. There is another version with codiene I keep on hand as well in case it is a reallllly bad one. I havent had to take it yet, the reg version is wonderful. not a single side effect.

Oh yes, the Imitrex worked on the headache... but like I said I will have to ask for something else because of those side effects. I'll ask my Doc about the Fioricet. Thanks. :buddies:

dachsom

Took Imitrex when it first came out. Worked great but can no longer take it because I have had a "complicated migranal stroke" due directly to the Imitrex. This was back in the early days of the drug when it was only available as an injection.

ginwoman

Imitrex makes me very nauseous and I will not take it. The best thing I have found for Migraine is FROVA.