In Rain's Wake, a Deluge of Snakeheads

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The water was alive. Snakeheads, hundreds of them, were slithering among the minnows, rising up through the concrete blocks that dam Dogue Creek like salmon leaping for freedom.

Sunday was, in the Potomac River's increasingly bizarre snakehead history, a landmark day. And it was something Mark Hammond, in three decades of fishing the Potomac tributary near Fort Belvoir, never dreamed he would see.

"They're in there by the thousands. You could see them literally coming up along the banks. The ones we caught didn't even put a dent in them," said Hammond, 43, an avid bass fisherman from Florida living here temporarily. "We would throw one in the cooler, two others would jump out and we'd have to chase them through the woods."

Since last year's discovery that the voracious, nonnative northern snakehead had infiltrated the Potomac River and its tributaries, fishermen have pulled them up in ones and twos, each catch a major event that further solidified the proof of an entrenched and breeding population.

In the first half of this year, about 15 snakeheads were caught in the Potomac and its tributaries, including several in Dogue Creek, but nothing has matched the haul Sunday and yesterday of at least 80. Its cause isn't yet clear.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001602.html

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

rack'm

Jaded
If the Chinese think they taste so good, why don't they just have an open season on them to try to control the population?? :shrug:

hwyman3

rack'm said:
If the Chinese think they taste so good, why don't they just have an open season on them to try to control the population?? :shrug:

That's what I always wondered too. I mean Rockfish are good to eat and fun to catch and we almost eliminated them by fishing for them. Heck, DNR should post Snakehead recepies on their website. If the Snakehead really is good eatin', then we can wipe them out!

rack'm

Jaded
hwyman3 said:
That's what I always wondered too. I mean Rockfish are good to eat and fun to catch and we almost eliminated them by fishing for them. Heck, DNR should post Snakehead recepies on their website. If the Snakehead really is good eatin', then we can wipe them out!

SnakeHead Recipes.......

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
Kinda hard fish to eradicate, Big appetite, big reproducer. As far as eating, it's a bony fish , like a pickerel.