In spite of the priests.

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 2:12 Eli’s sons were scoundrels; they had no regard for the Lord. 13 Now it was the practice of the priests that, whenever any of the people offered a sacrifice, the priest’s servant would come with a three-pronged fork in his hand while the meat was being boiled 14 and would plunge the fork into the pan or kettle or caldron or pot. Whatever the fork brought up the priest would take for himself. This is how they treated all the Israelites who came to Shiloh. 15 But even before the fat was burned, the priest’s servant would come and say to the person who was sacrificing, “Give the priest some meat to roast; he won’t accept boiled meat from you, but only raw.”
16 If the person said to him, “Let the fat be burned first, and then take whatever you want,” the servant would answer, “No, hand it over now; if you don’t, I’ll take it by force.”
17 This sin of the young men was very great in the Lord’s sight, for they were treating the Lord’s offering with contempt.
18 But Samuel was ministering before the Lord—a boy wearing a linen ephod. 19 Each year his mother made him a little robe and took it to him when she went up with her husband to offer the annual sacrifice. 20 Eli would bless Elkanah and his wife, saying, “May the Lord give you children by this woman to take the place of the one she prayed for and gave to the Lord.” Then they would go home. 21 And the Lord was gracious to Hannah; she gave birth to three sons and two daughters. Meanwhile, the boy Samuel grew up in the presence of the Lord.
22 Now Eli, who was very old, heard about everything his sons were doing to all Israel and how they slept with the women who served at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 23 So he said to them, “Why do you do such things? I hear from all the people about these wicked deeds of yours. 24 No, my sons; the report I hear spreading among the Lord’s people is not good. 25 If one person sins against another, God may mediate for the offender; but if anyone sins against the Lord, who will intercede for them?His sons, however, did not listen to their father’s rebuke, for it was the Lord’s will to put them to death.
26 And the boy Samuel continued to grow in stature and in favor with the Lord and with people.

Here's the link to the commentary.

The sons of Eli were corrupt: Literally, the ancient Hebrew calls them sons of Belial. Belial was a pagan god and the phrase sons of Belial refers to worthless and wicked men. This was a significant problem, because the sons of Eli were in line to succeed him as high priest and they already functioned in the priesthood.​

They did not know the LORD: Even though their father Eli knew the LORD that knowledge was not passed on genetically to his sons. They had to personally know the LORD for themselves.​
The priests’ custom with the people: With many of the sacrifices brought to the tabernacle, a portion was given to God, a portion was given to the priest, and a portion was kept by the one who brought the offering. According to other passages in the Old Testament, the priest received a portion of the breast and the shoulder. But now, some 400 years after the Law of Moses came, the priestly custom changed — they did not take the prescribed portion of the breast and shoulder but took whatever the fork (fleshhook) brought up out of the pot.​

Before they burned the fat: God’s portion was always given first, so it was wrong to take the priest’s portion before they burned the fat.​
The fat was thought to be the most luxurious, best part of the animal, so they gave it to God. The idea was that God should always get the best, and God should get His portion first. But in their pride the sons of Eli took their portion before they burned the fat.​

He will not take boiled meat from you, but raw: Why did the sons of Eli want raw meat? Perhaps it was so they could prepare it anyway they pleased; or more likely, it was because raw meat was easier to sell and they sold the meat and pocketed the money.​
No, but you must give it to me now; and if not, I will take it by force: The greed of Eli’s sons was so bad that they did not hesitate to use violence and the threat of violence to get what they wanted.​
For men abhorred the offering of the LORD: The greatness of the sin of Eli’s sons was clear because through their greed, violence, and intimidation they made others not want to come and bring offerings to the LORD. It was bad enough what they themselves did; but the greater sin of Eli’s sons was in how they hurt other people.​
They lay with the women who assembled at the door of the tabernacle of meeting: This means the sons of Eli were committing sexual immorality with the women who came to worship at the tabernacle. This was an ancient version of the modern sex scandals among pastors or preachers.​

Yep... I skipped all of Hannah's Song. I was depressed all day yesterday over the Bible Study.

Yep... I won't be crying over this Bible Study.... These are some wicked men.

They perverted the Sacrifice. By Mosaic Law the people had to bring a perfect Sacrifice. They perverted by stealing the Lord's portion... the raw meat... and cooking it up for themselves or selling it. Either way... that portion belonged to God... not the priests!

They were violent. If someone insisted that they follow Mosaic Law... the priests would beat them up... and take the offering anyway.

They were sexually immoral. They slept with the women who came to worship. No... These weren't affairs of the heart. These women didn't come to the Temple to be taken by a priest. They came to worship. It was rape... plain and simple.

The sons of Eli didn't know the meaning of the word no!

The little boy named Samuel, that Hannah gave to the church, looked so sweet and official in his little ephod and robe.

In spite of everything the priests did... and said... and would be held guilty for, that little boy named Samuel grew to be a fine boy.

God loved him and the people loved him.

Samuel grew to be a fine boy....

In spite of the priests.

:coffee: