Inexpensive vacation destinations

Dakota

~~~~~~~
We just got back from a weekend trip to Atlanta to do the Walking Dead tours. It was great. There is so much to see and do in Atlanta. Very reasonable hotel prices for the downtown area. A long drive for two nights but well worth it. Might be an idea for a sixteen year old- or anybody since I'm in my forties.

You have no idea how much my son would LOVE that...

MommaBird

Vrai...I'd love to know where you stay. We haven't been there in several years and are planning to go this summer. Sounds like a place we should check out.

Thanks!

I'm stuck on Myrtle Beach because 1) I love it there; and 2) hotels are very reasonable. So where are some other cool places where prices are comparable? I did a Google search for affordable vacation ideas and all those stupid sites seem to think that $300/night is a reasonable hotel room. :lol:

To give you an idea, the place I stay in MB is an oceanfront suite with full kitchen and balcony, gorgeous hotel right on the boardwalk and convenient to pretty much everything. Off-season it's around $80/night and peak season is still under $150.

So what else within a reasonable driving distance is similar to that kind of deal? I want to go somewhere new.

Pete

Repete
I tried to book a room in Key West last night and it was $600 a night for almost all of them.

belvak

Happy Camper
I'm stuck on Myrtle Beach because 1) I love it there; and 2) hotels are very reasonable.
So what else within a reasonable driving distance is similar to that kind of deal? I want to go somewhere new.

We're headed to Myrtle Beach in March! If you like small towns, Bedford, PA (small town charm, lots of covered bridges, a buffalo farm, and Gravity Hill) and Johnstown, PA (Inclined Plane, the Tomahawks (North American Hockey League, and the Johnstown Flood Museum) are pretty neat. Another nice place to visit is Bushkill Falls in the Poconos. There are eight waterfalls, the tallest is over 100 feet. Lots of hiking and climbing steps!

sockgirl77

We love to go to Winchester VA. Apple picking, wineries, historic battlefields, a funky downtown, museums, fine dining, comfort food, shopping, and basically something for everybody. We stay right outside the town proper, with our dogs, for a nominal cost in room with a kitchen. We hit the wineries for wine tastings (and every one so far has allowed our dogs to come too), the farmer's market, go into the "city" and visit stores we don't have locally, and got to the historic downtown for free entertainment, good food and all kinds of original dining, drinking and shops (which are dog friendly as well and have outdoor seating).
Oh and most importantly, they have a Waffle House. :biggrin:

That's exactly what I had planned to do for Valentine's weekend. Damn kids and their dental work ruined that. :ohwell:

tuffenuff2

You have no idea how much my son would LOVE that...

It was great. Got to see lots of the locations and the guides were actual zombies on the show. A lot of background information- very informative. There were two teenage boys there and they were having a blast!!!! We did both tours. Atlanta movie tours. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn on Peachtree st. It was only about $120 a night including hot breakfast.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We love to go to Winchester VA. Apple picking, wineries, historic battlefields, a funky downtown, museums, fine dining, comfort food, shopping, and basically something for everybody. We stay right outside the town proper, with our dogs, for a nominal cost in room with a kitchen. We hit the wineries for wine tastings (and every one so far has allowed our dogs to come too), the farmer's market, go into the "city" and visit stores we don't have locally, and got to the historic downtown for free entertainment, good food and all kinds of original dining, drinking and shops (which are dog friendly as well and have outdoor seating).
Oh and most importantly, they have a Waffle House. :biggrin:

That sounds awesome! We have 3 dogs, 1 large & 2 giant breed. Hard to find places that let you bring that many or that big.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We just got back from a weekend trip to Atlanta to do the Walking Dead tours. It was great. There is so much to see and do in Atlanta. Very reasonable hotel prices for the downtown area. A long drive for two nights but well worth it. Might be an idea for a sixteen year old- or anybody since I'm in my forties.

Ooh! I love the Walking Dead, that sounds fun. Kids could probably care less. They don't watch.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
That sounds awesome! We have 3 dogs, 1 large & 2 giant breed. Hard to find places that let you bring that many or that big.

By now we pretty much know where to go, but we still double check with a phone call before we head out. Bluemont Vineyard is our favorite dog friendly one. They do have chickens and other very well behaved dogs on property. Tastings are usually upstairs (which means my husband has to carry one of the dogs (he's scared going down) but they do have a downstairs testing area but you need to find out the times in advance for the lower level. If you have giant breeds I would recommend that versus those stairs. We usually get a platter of food, sit outside with the dogs and a bottle of wine for us and a bowl of water for them. Fabulous view! Veramar Vineyard is our second favorite, they have several outdoor sitting areas and food as well. They do have an outside set-up for tastings. In the fall they have little fire pits going. They do have a small pond real close, not sure if you have water crazy ones, but a head's up on that. Best place to eat is in old town Winchester called "One Block West". It is pricey but worth it. You'll need reservations and he has outdoor seating for the dog friendly. But many of the restaurants and pubs in old town have outdoor seating, water bowls are situated outside many of the stores. But we tend to carry a collapsible bowl.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
By now we pretty much know where to go, but we still double check with a phone call before we head out. Bluemont Vineyard is our favorite dog friendly one. They do have chickens and other very well behaved dogs on property. Tastings are usually upstairs (which means my husband has to carry one of the dogs (he's scared going down) but they do have a downstairs testing area but you need to find out the times in advance for the lower level. If you have giant breeds I would recommend that versus those stairs. We usually get a platter of food, sit outside with the dogs and a bottle of wine for us and a bowl of water for them. Fabulous view! Veramar Vineyard is our second favorite, they have several outdoor sitting areas and food as well. They do have an outside set-up for tastings. In the fall they have little fire pits going. They do have a small pond real close, not sure if you have water crazy ones, but a head's up on that. Best place to eat is in old town Winchester called "One Block West". It is pricey but worth it. You'll need reservations and he has outdoor seating for the dog friendly. But many of the restaurants and pubs in old town have outdoor seating, water bowls are situated outside many of the stores. But we tend to carry a collapsible bowl.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Hubby keeps saying we need to get a camper so we can take them with us. Most camp sites do not allow dogs that big or that many. Plus the dogs cannot be left unattended while you go swim or something.

Hannibal

I am a low-key person. Love vacation in the OBX down south of Bonner Bridge where there are few houses and not a lot of commercial things. Not a fan of the north towns especially during season (Duck, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, etc) as it's too busy for me. Find me a nice porch, a beer, a grill and my family, and I am good. Also like sitting on the beach all day drowning worms (or mullet). Not to sound too old (I am mid-30's) but I thought this might put my suggestions in perpective (in no particular order):

1. Chicoteauge, VA (Assateague, VA). Small town. Good access to the beach. Crowded during summer season but pretty open in shoulders/off-season. Decent options for food. Good options for low-key housing/motels and good prices.

2. Lake Gaston, VA/NC. Nothing around the area to do but the lake is nice and a good scene. Summers aren't too busy/crazy. Good swimming, fishing and boating. You can rent houses weekly or in groups of days. Easy 4 hour drive. Beautiful scenery.

3. Any place along Shanandoah Ridge/Skyline. You can rent cabins cheap. Lots of cool restaurants and sites. Luray, etc.

4. Gatlingburg / Pigeon Forge, TN. A bit futher (about 7 hours). Can rent beautiful cabins at good pricing. Access to Dollywood which is fantastic (surprisingly). Gatlingburg has LOTS to do for people of all ages. Generally just a cool place to visit. Summers aren't too crowded. Scenery is amazing (Smokies). Food options are plentiful. Dollywood is loaded.

5. Something cool I want to do when my kids are a bit older is to take part in one of those trips where you raft down the Potomac. You raft for a bit and stop and camp. Meals are made and you sit back and relax. I've heard great things about it but you obviously have to have a bit of "outdoors" in you. Not roughing it but it is outside (you might have to learn to pop a squat at some point).

6. Rent an RV and drive. Gas prices are down. Pick a location within range and go.

sockgirl77

I am a low-key person. Love vacation in the OBX down south of Bonner Bridge where there are few houses and not a lot of commercial things. Not a fan of the north towns especially during season (Duck, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, etc) as it's too busy for me.

Duck usually is not bad, even during peak season. Corolla is another great northern OBX town. Southern Shores (part of Kitty Hawk) is also great during the peak season. I definitely agree with Nags Head though. That place is a madhouse year round!