Injectable marinade

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, all you turkey-friers. I want to inject a marinade into my turkey before I smoke it. How do I do this? I tried to do a web search but didn't come up with anything useful.

Any recipes and techniques you can help me with? I've never done this and have no idea what I'm doing.

TIA!

morganj614

vraiblonde said:
Okay, all you turkey-friers. I want to inject a marinade into my turkey before I smoke it. How do I do this? I tried to do a web search but didn't come up with anything useful.

Any recipes and techniques you can help me with? I've never done this and have no idea what I'm doing.

TIA!

Ask Suz, her hubster has done many turkeys with several marinades. I think he has a special tool for injecting and they always came out delicious.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Are you looking for the marinade itself, or just the instructions for injecting?

Here's a great marinade that's easy to make:

- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup spicy mustard
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme

Cut off the top of the garlic bulb so that the tops of the cloves are exposed. Pour one tablespoon of olive oil over the top. Place on preheated grill and roast over a low heat for about 30 to 45 minutes (or until the cloves are soft). Remove from grill and allow to cool.

Squeeze the cloves of garlic out of the bulb into a blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.

THEN, you'll need an injector tool. You can get them for under $10 at any kitchen gadget store----probably even Wal-Mart or Target.

What you want to do is get it into the main morsels---the breasts, thighs, and drumsticks (there's really not enough substance to the wings to merit wasting time or effort). Try to avoid tearing the skin as much as possible, as it's like your natural "foil" meant to keep all that flavor in during the cooking process. Basically, just jam the needle in, and slowly "inject" as you withdraw it, so as to spread the marinade. Also be sure to put marinade between the skin and the outer layer of meat. Don't bother putting it on the outside of the skin---it will all cook off.

Also, don't cook it right away! Wrap the bird up, and put it in the fridge for at LEAST 8 hours to let the marinade soak into the meat.

Good luck!

:yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Club'nBabySeals said:
What you want to do is get it into the main morsels---the breasts, thighs, and drumsticks (there's really not enough substance to the wings to merit wasting time or effort). Try to avoid tearing the skin as much as possible, as it's like your natural "foil" meant to keep all that flavor in during the cooking process. Basically, just jam the needle in, and slowly "inject" as you withdraw it, so as to spread the marinade. Also be sure to put marinade between the skin and the outer layer of meat. Don't bother putting it on the outside of the skin---it will all cook off.

Also, don't cook it right away! Wrap the bird up, and put it in the fridge for at LEAST 8 hours to let the marinade soak into the meat.
Thank you! That is EXACTLY what I needed to know! :huggy:

I'll let you know how it turns out!

vraiblonde said:
Thank you! That is EXACTLY what I needed to know! :huggy:

I'll let you know how it turns out!
Clubbin :yay:

Once the bird has been marinated, and refrigerated as suggested. Remove it from the Fridge 30 to 45 minutes prior to frying.

fddog

Bow wow
vrai,
Make sure you do not push the needle in to far. Push the needle in far enough it passes the injection port. The skin will lift and some marinade will come out. Shoot it in as many locations as possiable.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
morganj614 said:
Ask Suz, her hubster has done many turkeys with several marinades. I think he has a special tool for injecting and they always came out delicious.
Thank you!--Well Vrai got her instructions and a recipe-but I will pass your compliment onto my chef!