Injured Wildlife

NextJen

Raisin cane
I had to find some help earlier after my son ran over a box turtle with the lawn mower. The turtle is cut badly, the whole top part of it's shell cut off down to meat and bleeding. I thought for sure it was going to die pretty quickly. I came inside and looked up a place that directed me to a lady near me. I have the turtle inside now in a box with wet paper towels covering its injured area (basically its whole shell). The lady will come by this evening after she gets off work to take it and see if it can be saved. It's still scratching around inside the box I have it in, so hopefully it has a fighting chance.

Thought I would post this link for anyone who may want or need it.
https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/rehabilitators.aspx

limblips

PREMO Member
I remember reading an article where they treated a similar injury with antibiotics and they reconstructed the shell with some type of carbon fiber. Hope it survives.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I love turtles. I hit one with the mower once. Luckily, I keep the blades high, so it only knicked him. I still felt terrible. I was able to redeem myself later by saving one guy from a swarm of red ants who were attacking him. I saw him trying to bury himself in the dirt and went over to get a better look when I saw the ants. Pulled him out and hosed him off. He definitely gave me a look of thank you before he crawled off.

littlelady

God bless the USA
It was very caring of you to seek help for the turtle, and that there are people who volunteer to help. You, obviously, love all critters. Me, too. Hope the turtle pulls through. :)

NextJen

Raisin cane
I love turtles.
Me too. I know I'm a big mush, but I absolutely cried when I saw how bad it was injured. I almost left it for dead, but couldn't bare to leave it outside to die. Hopefully it makes it. I'm glad there are folks out there that perform rescues and care for even the smallest critters.

Last edited:
I used to have lots of box turtles here. My dog was very adept at sniffing them out and pointing them out to us. But they had to cross the road to get to a breeding spot or something, and either got run over or taken. I've seen quite a few "abducted" by dads and their kids. No clue. I haven't seen one here in a few years now.

Grumpy

I helped one across the street on Friday, I had left for work and was getting gas when I realized I left my work badge in my other car. Riding back to my house I saw a box turtle starting to cross the road, thought about it for a second, then pulled a u-bee. Got 3 thumbs up/beeps when I helped him/her from cars passing to the other side. Made my day.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I camp hosted in Alaska. I was right on the water. The tide swing was about 18 feet average. The salmon would go up the creek on high tide. Inevitable some fish would not make it in time. The water would drop and they'd be flopping around in the puddles. The eagles would swoop in and get an easy meal. Eagles have to eat too. I had my official looking outfit when 1 of the campers asked me if I was going to do something about rescuing the dying fish. I said the eagles have to eat too you know.

mitzi

I watched a turtle lay her eggs in my back yard years ago. It was really cool to watch. She laid several in a straight line.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I watched a turtle lay her eggs in my back yard years ago. It was really cool to watch. She laid several in a straight line.

Us, too in Calvert; years ago. Hub put the eggs and mama turtle in a basket and took them closer to the water. It was an amazing experience. Where we lived off Broomes Island had ancient ravines from when the ocean covered it. We found a lot of fossils on our property.

mitzi

Us, too in Calvert; years ago. Hub put the eggs and mama turtle in a basket and took them closer to the water. It was an amazing experience. Where we lived off Broomes Island had ancient ravines from when the ocean covered it. We found a lot of fossils on our property.

The box turtle we watched buried her eggs. Covered them up with her back legs immediately after she laid them, one by one. It was funny, her head would go back into the shell as she was straining to lay them. I felt her pain LOL. When she finished, we placed a stick where she laid them so we could keep watch. Needless to say, the dog pulled the stick up by the next day.

littlelady

God bless the USA
The box turtle we watched buried her eggs. Covered them up with her back legs immediately after she laid them, one by one. It was funny, her head would go back into the shell as she was straining to lay them. I felt her pain LOL. When she finished, we placed a stick where she laid them so we could keep watch. Needless to say, the dog pulled the stick up by the next day.

Darn poopies, but we love them so. We do what we can, but we can’t battle instinct. You tried, and that is what counts.

mitzi

Darn poopies, but we love them so. We do what we can, but we can’t battle instinct. You tried, and that is what counts.

It's doubtful we would have ever caught them hatching, but I wanted to see the shells or something after they hatched.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I helped one across the street on Friday, I had left for work and was getting gas when I realized I left my work badge in my other car. Riding back to my house I saw a box turtle starting to cross the road, thought about it for a second, then pulled a u-bee. Got 3 thumbs up/beeps when I helped him/her from cars passing to the other side. Made my day.

Thanks for another memory. I stopped my car on Sixes Road to remove a turtle. I, always, wonder if that was a good idea. But, it ended well, unless the turtle tried to cross, again. I don’t want to know.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Had to head down south for a funeral today. Stopped three times to rescue turtles in the road (my brother actually, I was riding with him and his wife), and I witnessed another driver pull over to rescue one. Four lives saved today!