input for a business idea?

Bigpops92

Ok forum...what are your thoughts on an indoor gun range in the Lex Park area?

If I built it...would you come?
How often?
How much would you pay per hour or half hour?
Would you want leagues?
Instruction?
Gun rentals?
Ammo available?

any other input?

Bigpops92

I think I'd support a business like this, but it has to be set up and monitored so that it is a safe environment with basic rules. Basic rules should be enforced with a ZERO tolerance policy.

Honestly - I shoot pistols almost never, and I only require a rifle range to sight-in for deer season - so the frequency of visits would be quite low, UNLESS there was a good shop with reloading supplies, and other equipment that are important to your average shooter/hunter. For shotgun reloading I order everything online - and it would be nice to have a store nearby that catered to typical shooting needs. Green Top in VA would be a good example of the shootinga accessories to have on hand.

Also - a good supply of guns is always a plus. Rentals are nice too, and a good way to learn what you like and don't like without buying.

I believe that Instruction is of Utmost importance, and that any facility such as this should offer basic gun safety courses as well as hunter safety.

Leagues aren't for me, but I can see how they would be part of a successful business model.

I can see a well run operation taking a significant investment, and lots of insurance. I can't even begin to imagine all the licenses, and regualtory headaches you would encounter, including air quality controls. Also, I would suggest you mention this idea to your neighbors before you start asking for permits.

Thank you! You make some very strong , valid points.
I will comment later...for now I am just observing the responses.

Bigpops92

I hear ya...not to mention any names, but several establishments around here leave a lot to be desired in the customer service department.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
If I built it...would you come?
Yes, and bring a friend.

How often?
At least monthly, perhaps more if you offered other things such as clubs, leagues, contests, etc.

How much would you pay per hour or half hour?
Depends on the services, range size, ammo cost. Also would you offer a yearly membership? Special discounts to NRA? etc.

Would you want leagues?
Yes. A ladies league would be awesome.

Instruction?
I think that would be a valid thing to offer and increase your business. Not only gun safety and hunter's safety, but a course geared towards first time shooters (you'd be surprised by the amount of females I know that would love to learn to shoot), as well as "special" instruction such as trick shoot, competition, etc. I bet if you were to contact the NRA, they would also be willing to bring in classes to your location.

Gun rentals?
Ugh, that one's tough. I think the laws, and insurance for that would be astronomical. I would check with the local laws, as well as state laws. I'd be scare of what your insurance person would say. Not to mention, you have one non-responsible bozo in there goofing off with your gun and there goes your business.

Ammo available?
Every indoor range I have ever been to makes you buy your own ammo there and use it there. I believe this is logical because you don't want somebody coming and using high explosive, armor piercing etc rounds, which would have the potential of causing harm or destroying your place of business.

any other input?
Depending on how large your facility is, you could also set up a shop that includes supplies (ammo, clips, holsters, ear plugs, etc.), magazines, etc. Also if the location is large enough it would have the potential to grow for use of indoor paintball, or miles type gear ranges where "teams" could secure a tactical objective. Those things are fun.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I would certainly love to see something like that opened up around here.

I would be afraid to open such a business however, due to all the liability and strict rules that must be conformed to.

This is just a gut feeling, not based on any real data. It's a good idea, but I'm suspecting that you might draw a crowd using smaller caliber stuff, like .22s. Those that would use large caliber stuff would opt for an outdoor range with lots more downrange. Now, this might not be a bad thing, it could be a great place for training, educating and getting a younger crowd started, small bore competition, etc. Maybe a good place for handgun training. Do the local police depts have indoor ranges to practice around here?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
This is just a gut feeling, not based on any real data. It's a good idea, but I'm suspecting that you might draw a crowd using smaller caliber stuff, like .22s. Those that would use large caliber stuff would opt for an outdoor range with lots more downrange. Now, this might not be a bad thing, it could be a great place for training, educating and getting a younger crowd started, small bore competition, etc. Maybe a good place for handgun training. Do the local police depts have indoor ranges to practice around here?

Calvert County, some MSP, and College Park use CCNPP's range which is all outdoors. I think some still use the base and some probably use the Small Arm's range up in P.G. there is no indoor public range in SOMD!

There is one in Harwood, but the indoor part is for either .22's only or air pistol.

That is all I am aware of anyway.