Input Needed - Nursing Home Care?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Does anyone have any experience with nursing home care in the SoMD area? Specifically in the southern end of St. Mary's or Calvert counties?

My mom, who had a stroke this past Sunday, requires EXTENSIVE physical therapy/occupational therapy/speech therapy, and I am so stressed out from the weeks' events that I can't think clearly. Can anyone who may have been through this experience provide some feedback to the nursing homes in the area? My family is considering St. Mary's Nursing Home, Bayside, Asbury, and The Hermatige at Solomon's.

FYI: To get an understanding of her physical condition, mom is paralyzed on one side, cannot speak, and we're uncertain if she recognizes us.

Thanks so much for your help. -- BG :blushing:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
The hospital should have a social worker on staff who can assist you. If she's still in hospital ask to talk to the social worker. I'm surprised they haven't contacted you to assist you in arranging for care.

Also, contact the Calvert County Office On Aging, http://www.co.cal.md.us/services/ooa/ooa.htm

If you live in St. Mary's, call their office on aging too.

I believe the best nursing center in Calvert is Calvert Nursing Center, right next to the hospital.

CMC122

Go Braves!
I did many transports out of the home over behind Solomons Fire house and it was always nice and clean. Staff was always nice. Patients were well cared for.

This was many years ago though.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Thanks for the input, everyone. Keep it coming, as I'd love to hear more info if you have anything to share.

Yes, we have spoken with the hospital case worker, and she discussed the area nursing homes, but she did not identify if one was better than another, or if there was any place that should not even be considered. We will hit her up again to get her opinion of the different facilities.

In speaking with others, I think that I now have a better understanding of our next steps - of going to the different facilities and touring the grounds and trying to get a good feel of the staff, the overall program, and the facilities. There are many on-line web sites that has identified some excellent questions to ask, things to look for, and hints to help evaluate the nursing homes.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded. And if you have any other comments that you think I should consider, please post!

Thanks for the hugs, too. They are very much appreciated. - BG

J

jmo2676

my neighbor put his parents at the hermitage and he said they love it there. They have never heard a complaint out of them and the place is kept clean and they take very good care of them and everytime there is an issue they call there son and let them know they dont tell you after the fact just so you know if that makes u feel anymore better. I dont know anything about asbury but have heard people say its great i have went on a tour of the place for a family friend and if i was to have to need help i would chose one of those 2 places over the ones in stmarys as where i hear a lot of complaints about the nursing center and bayside and all them people talk as if they are the worst place in the whole world. ONly heard tons of good about the ones in calvert county to tell u the truth.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jmo2676
my neighbor put his parents at the hermitage and he said they love it there. They have never heard a complaint out of them and the place is kept clean and they take very good care of them and everytime there is an issue they call there son and let them know they dont tell you after the fact just so you know if that makes u feel anymore better. I dont know anything about asbury but have heard people say its great i have went on a tour of the place for a family friend and if i was to have to need help i would chose one of those 2 places over the ones in stmarys as where i hear a lot of complaints about the nursing center and bayside and all them people talk as if they are the worst place in the whole world. ONly heard tons of good about the ones in calvert county to tell u the truth.
I bet the orderly's wear uniforms! :yay:

meme

The Smart Hooker
My mom use to volunteer at Bayside and use to drag me along. Personally, I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Bayside. However, I have a few family members that have worked and are still working at St. Mary's and they said it's a much nicer place then Bayside. I am unfamiliar though with the facility in Calvert.

Sorry to hear what had happend to your mom. Best of luck with your search.

:huggy:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Well, I went to Hermitage in Solomon's this morning and toured their complex. For a senior citizen/nursing home, it is absolutely beautiful. The place is clean, quiet, the rooms are large, the common areas are nice, and the employees try very hard to engage the patients in activities. The staff was extremely helpful in explaining their facility, treatment options, and amenities. I am so excited that we may have found a safe, comfortable and totally competent place for my mom to get the help that she requires. And the best news is that they currently have an opening for her. We've completed the application, and hope to have her transported first thing Monday morning. With the right therapy, she just might make some headway towards a recovery.

Again, thanks to everyone who provided input to this thread. -- BG

J

jmo2676

yup they do inhouse games like bingo and stuff like that and sometimes they have someone come in and do the womans hair and nails too but that was a few years ago i heard the neighbor say that i dont know if they do that anymore..But they do make them feel special at the hermitage and you are right clean and friendly atmosphere hoep your mom feels welcomed there by the staff and people that can still get around etc.Atleast u can rest knowing u found a good place for your mom to go.