Inspection Question

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmm, thats a good one. Don't think there are any inspection items under the hood. But if they try and cant, they might say it has to.

glhs837

Power with Control
And I checked, hood latch is on there. Now, being a safety inspection, I am pretty sure it really refers to the retention portion of the latch, the part that keeps the hood from flying up if the main latch fails, but they would gig you anyway, since it's not specific.

Same way a shop hit me for "Gear indicators" on my manual transmission. Made me put a label in showing the H pattern. :killingme

Chris0nllyn

Trust me, they'll fail it and make you come back and spend more money.

I've only had one shop that inspected it, and allowed me to take it home to fix everything, and bring it back without paying for the inspection again.

glhs837

Power with Control
That same place, I had told them up front I would be completing any repairs they required. Think that ticked them off. Got "Drivers door wont open easily". Really? Opens, correct? "An officer might need to open this door". Required about 1/3rd extra force lifting up to open. Told them any officer that passed his physical could open the door, my 12 year old could do it.

When I asked why I needed a "gear indicator" on a manual, was told, "So someone else can drive it". I told them, hell, anyone else wants to try, I WANT them to be confused.

hotcoffee

I bought a car from a dealer.... Hubby looked at the car before I got there so I assumed he looked at the engine.... so I didn't try to pop the hood because he would have already done that....

Then when I brought it home... hubby decided to check all the fluids and admire the guts of the car.... you know how it goes.... and the hood wouldn't open because it is out of kilter... it binds on the passenger's side fender.... when I took it back to the dealer... all the sales people wanted to check it out and proove the woman wrong.... then they go... "oohh".... and look bumfuzzled... lol

Exhaust had to be replaced too.... but they did that without giving me a problem about it....

The hood, however, is turning into an issue....

So... I was wondering how it passed inspection....:coffee:

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I bought a car from a dealer.... Hubby looked at the car before I got there so I assumed he looked at the engine.... so I didn't try to pop the hood because he would have already done that....

Then when I brought it home... hubby decided to check all the fluids and admire the guts of the car.... you know how it goes.... and the hood wouldn't open because it is out of kilter... it binds on the passenger's side fender.... when I took it back to the dealer... all the sales people wanted to check it out and proove the woman wrong.... then they go... "oohh".... and look bumfuzzled... lol

Exhaust had to be replaced too.... but they did that without giving me a problem about it....

Sounds to me like this car has been wrecked.
Hood misalignment is one of the telltale signs. Or.....it could simply be that the hinges were "tweaked"; meaning someone opened the hood and pulled it to the right; resulting in it hitting the passenger-side fender.
Easy fix.....open the hood all the way, and give a firm tug toward the driver's side until the binding stops.

BTW.....MD inspections are not that stringent. I don't know what the pass/fail requirements are; but for the most part, it's not that tough to get a car inspected. They will ping you on things like needs this or that and tell you to fix it and bring it back; but most of the time, a car will pass muster the first time.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Trust me, they'll fail it and make you come back and spend more money.

I've only had one shop that inspected it, and allowed me to take it home to fix everything, and bring it back without paying for the inspection again.

That doesn't happen very often. Hewitt's used to be pretty good about that.

Chris0nllyn

Pop the hood, and you should see (depending on the vehicle) the fender mounting bolts. Loosen them and pull outward. Re-tighten.

calvcopf

Will a car go through inspection legally if the hood won't properly open and close?

:coffee:

I had an inspection on one vehicle at the Tire Plus in California, MD and they failed it for a serpentine belt (it looked fine to me), and this year I had an inspection at the Sunoco on Rt. 4 near the Huntingtown bowling alley and guess what, whey failed this car for a serpentine belt also. Must be a common thing they get you for if they can't find anything else really wong with the car. So, yes, in Maryland they look under the hood also.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Hope this helps. #16 addresses the hood and catches.

Attachments

• State Inspection.jpg
    State Inspection.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 74