Installing fence posts

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Has anyone ever had the posts pounded in the ground rather than drilling them? We are installing 4x4s...225 of them. I am so worried that they will shatter or split:jameo:

tommyjones

Has anyone ever had the posts pounded in the ground rather than drilling them? We are installing 4x4s...225 of them. I am so worried that they will shatter or split:jameo:

you got some special equipment?

or are you planning on driving 4x4's with a sledge?

fredsaid2

A local barn put in their ring that way. They were near the water so I suspect some sandy soil but they had no problems. I think it just depends on how much moisture the soil has. Last year we could barely dig holes with a skid loader let alone pound them in through the cement like soil. This year it's much easier even digging holes by hand. Good luck w/ your pasture!

Sparks

We had someone install ours for us. They used a post hole digger.
Best money we ever spent!!!!!!!!

Cowgirl

We've installed numerous round posts that way. I've never done it with a 4X4, so I don't know if they'd splinter. I love post drivers though...waaaaaay easier and quicker than digging holes!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're...

...using a front end loader to press them in, yes?

They CAN shatter and/or shear. This works BUT can be dangerous. Very.

Cowgirl

...using a front end loader to press them in, yes?

They CAN shatter and/or shear. This works BUT can be dangerous. Very.

I thought she meant a post driver. Pounding them with the FEL doens't work to well. It's hard to get a level post, and it's very dangerous. Post drivers are much quicker and safer.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I thought she meant a post driver. Pounding them with the FEL doens't work to well. It's hard to get a level post, and it's very dangerous. Post drivers are much quicker and safer.
Yes Cowgirl it is a trailer mounted driver. My concern is that we are not using the tough round posts, but using 4x4s instead. He feels that he can keep them plumb and straight for the boards that we will be hanging later.

Cowgirl

Yes Cowgirl it is a trailer mounted driver. My concern is that we are not using the tough round posts, but using 4x4s instead. He feels that he can keep them plumb and straight for the boards that we will be hanging later.

JMO, but I think it would be better to use the round ones. They're much tougher. And I think it'd be easier to keep them "straight" for nailing boards on. If the 4X4 is twisted at all, the board won't lay flush on it. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I would...

...stand on the other side of the driver and let him handle the level.

Keep a cell phone handy.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
JMO, but I think it would be better to use the round ones. They're much tougher. And I think it'd be easier to keep them "straight" for nailing boards on. If the 4X4 is twisted at all, the board won't lay flush on it. :shrug:
I agree with you about the toughness. That is my concern...I dont care for the round posts for boards due to lack of nailing surface. The whole farm is in 4x4s so that is what it is going to be. The man running the machine says he has done 4x4s in the past
but I am skepical. Considering the posts were 7.40 out the door each I hope they all slide in.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I love putting in posts dug by hand or by auger, it's a good upper body workout. I have never used the driver method but know people who have and they used the round posts. Just try one of the 4x4's and see what happens, they are on sale now at Lowe's and Home Depot for $5.95, usually $6.95. I believe the round posts are more expensive. I'm interested in knowing how the 4x4's did with the driver :howdy:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have used the driver before. It works pretty good but not all the post went in totally straight. Also having flat land is better... If the guy said he can do it then try it..Better than having to pack post...I didn't use 4x4 but landscape ties a 4x4 will fit in the packer better...

fredsaid2

The posts are going in the ground like a hot knife in butter. :starcat: Pics to come.

I am happy for you .... but very jealous, esp after the time we had last summer! So much nicer to just plunk them in the ground. Sounds like, with the right conditions, it works great. :smile: