Instant Pot stuff

Bonehead

Ok so our slow cooker went tango uniform yesterday and I plan to try out the Instant Pot as a replacement.

Which one do you IP gurus recommend ? As far as I can tell there are 3/6/8 quart capacities and 6 and 10 function pre set programs.

I normally just cook for 2, but sometimes I cook parts of a soup kitchen meal for 50. Any comments welcome.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
What is your process for freezing liquid stuff such as soup? Containers, bags??
I like using freezer bags as I can lay them flat and stack them. Cheaper too and no containers to wash. I have a separate chest freezer which holds lots of stuff. :lol:

General Lee

I like using freezer bags as I can lay them flat and stack them. Cheaper too and no containers to wash. I have a separate chest freezer which holds lots of stuff. :lol:

Ok cool, thanks. Curious because I seem to waste a lot of stuff I make in the IP or crock pot. I have froze some things in containers but it didn't take long to get freezer burnt. Meats/solids I use the vacuum sealer. I think it has a "wet" sealing option but haven't tried it

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Ok cool, thanks. Curious because I seem to waste a lot of stuff I make in the IP or crock pot. I have froze some things in containers but it didn't take long to get freezer burnt. Meats/solids I use the vacuum sealer. I think it has a "wet" sealing option but haven't tried it
The air around the food contributes to freezer burn. I like the plastic freezer bags as I can get all the air out, flatten, and store. I also wrap meat in plastic wrap tightly before putting it in a freezer plastic bag.

Freezer burn is a condition that occurs when frozen food has been damaged by dehydration and oxidation, due to air reaching the food.[1] It is generally caused by food not being securely wrapped in air-tight packaging.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Doing a quick release of the steam scares the bejesus out of me, so I got this accessory and it works well!

Amazon product

You can direct the steam in any direction, especially away from you and/or your cabinets. :yay:

TCROW

If you've tried to cook vegetables like carrots or broccoli or really anything else that tends to disintegrate at seemingly low cook times, I found you can actually set the rig for 0 minutes of cooking. Even 1 minute takes broccoli, green beans, carrots, etc. too far gone and makes mush. On a whim, I tried to set it for 0 minutes and broccoli came out good. It's fully soft, but not mush. It basically comes up to pressure and then stops. I'm still not convinced it's worth the hassle to use the IP for these types of veg, but this was a revelation and makes passable broccoli.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Doing a quick release of the steam scares the bejesus out of me, so I got this accessory and it works well!

Amazon product

You can direct the steam in any direction, especially away from you and/or your cabinets. :yay:

We should chip in and get 1 for the gal that has the neighbor that constantly knocks on her door. A few blasts of steam would send her a message she isn't soon to forget.

I wonder if they make a 5 foot long model.

Mine turned out tough as nails, 62 minutes for a 2.67 pound brisket...
I did mine a little differently. I used the crock pot, like always, but only put in enough water to cover the 'taters and cabbage, and sat the beef on top of the cabbage so it never hit the water. It basically steamed, and came out really nice.

glhs837

Power with Control
Mine turned out tough as nails, 62 minutes for a 2.67 pound brisket...

Mine was about the same weight and I did 75 minutes, I think. Recipe I was using called for 90 minutes for 4lbs.

Bonehead

I did mine a little differently. I used the crock pot, like always, but only put in enough water to cover the 'taters and cabbage, and sat the beef on top of the cabbage so it never hit the water. It basically steamed, and came out really nice.

I plan to try this method as well, seems reasonable and you can check progress without releasing steam....