Insulin

BuckinRut

How long does it generally take to get into your system and start working? Been using it for a week and increasing by 2 units every other day as per my doctor's instructions and my sugars are still in the 280 range. Thanks for your help.

Littlebit

How long does it generally take to get into your system and start working? Been using it for a week and increasing by 2 units every other day as per my doctor's instructions and my sugars are still in the 280 range. Thanks for your help.

Ask your doctor!!!!!!!!!:doh:

SoMDGirl42

It doesn't take time to get into your system. Depending on the type of inuslin, NPH etc., some insulin is time released and some it short coverage. Your doctor should have explained this to you better.

Did he give you a sliding scale to use?

jetmonkey

Contact Becky Sutay at SMH, she can answer all your questions.

BuckinRut

It doesn't take time to get into your system. Depending on the type of inuslin, NPH etc., some insulin is time released and some it short coverage. Your doctor should have explained this to you better.

Did he give you a sliding scale to use?

It is supposed to be long lasting 24 hr insulin. I just wondered if it took time to build up in your system because my sugar numbers are just holding steady no matter how much I increase the dose on the pen. And yes he probably explained it but there is a bit of a language barrier there. I will try JetMonkey's suggestion and call SMH and ask questions. Thanks!

onebdzee

off the shelf
It is supposed to be long lasting 24 hr insulin. I just wondered if it took time to build up in your system because my sugar numbers are just holding steady no matter how much I increase the dose on the pen. And yes he probably explained it but there is a bit of a language barrier there. I will try JetMonkey's suggestion and call SMH and ask questions. Thanks!

Even the time release insulin(which is what you have) shouldn't keep your levels up that high....they should come back down with in an hour or so

BuckinRut

Even the time release insulin(which is what you have) shouldn't keep your levels up that high....they should come back down with in an hour or so

I talked to my pharmacist and he said that my doctor should at least call my Endo until I can get there for my appt. and get advice on how to treat me and possibly give me humabid (sp?) during the day and the Lantus at night to control the spikes. I just took my reading for tonight and it was much better at 178. I will call my doc on Monday when he returns. Thanks for all your help!

jetmonkey

I talked to my pharmacist and he said that my doctor should at least call my Endo until I can get there for my appt. and get advice on how to treat me and possibly give me humabid (sp?) during the day and the Lantus at night to control the spikes. I just took my reading for tonight and it was much better at 178. I will call my doc on Monday when he returns. Thanks for all your help!

You have glaucoma, too?