Insurance for horses

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I need life insurance and a liability policy for keeping them off my property on a leased farm.

Who is using what? And what is it costing on average?
And what is the cost of an instructors policy?

Thanks!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
happyappygirl said:
I need life insurance and a liability policy for keeping them off my property on a leased farm.

Who is using what? And what is it costing on average?
And what is the cost of an instructors policy?

Thanks!

HI! :howdy: Last year we used Markel, I think it ran 3 or 3.5% of the insured value of the horse. You could add medical for like $100 or $150. BUT if you have a halter horse, then it is 10% regardless of the HYPP status. I don't know how the halter people do it!

I don't know what the rates are for an instructors policy...I am not an instructor, I can barely stand to train myself! :lmao:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appendixqh said:
HI! :howdy: Last year we used Markel, I think it ran 3 or 3.5% of the insured value of the horse. You could add medical for like $100 or $150. BUT if you have a halter horse, then it is 10% regardless of the HYPP status. I don't know how the halter people do it!

I don't know what the rates are for an instructors policy...I am not an instructor, I can barely stand to train myself! :lmao:
Thanks! What does the life insurance cover? Do you know how it works? Is it worth getting?

Sparks

Emo

I use EMO and have been very happy. They've paid a ton of claims on my accident waiting to happen horse. Well worth it.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
happyappygirl said:
Thanks! What does the life insurance cover? Do you know how it works? Is it worth getting?

Here is their link: http://www.horseinsurance.com/Products/

IMO, the Mortality insurance is good if you have a younger horse that is of decent value. I don't insure a horse for less than 5k unless it is on a trial or being leased. I usually insure all horses valued over 10k for obvious reasons. The insurance usually covers (pays) for almost all causes of death, including acts of God (ie lightning strikes), and if a vet can back up the decision for emergency euthanasia, (ie severe colic, foaling complicaitons, broken legs) they will pay on that too. I think insurance depends on the situation. The market being so bad right now, I think that most horses can easily be replaced very in-expensively, so insurance may not be cost effective depending on what you are going for. Good luck, I hope you find what suits you! They look like they have great farm and liability packages!
:howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I dropped Rogers insurance last year because of his HYPP status...then he got sick this year..I have liability on my trail riders only..as my policy was limited to 5 or 6 horses..call the companys and ask questions.

Robin

We use old colony insurance. Good to have when you have horses at training or showing. Loss of use or mortality.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Winn Dixie said:
We thought it was a good response and sent you some of our pitiful green. :flowers:
:faint:

:lol:

I stopped in too see our State Farm Agent, and they are sending me a quote. I think we can put the liability as a rider on our homeowners.

The sweet girl in the office asked me if i read the Forums...she said someone posted that SAME question on there just this morning :killingme

I said...Um that would have been ME :lol:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
happyappygirl said:

I stopped in too see our State Farm Agent, and they are sending me a quote. I think we can put the liability as a rider on our homeowners.

The sweet girl in the office asked me if i read the Forums...she said someone posted that SAME question on there just this morning :killingme

OMG that is too funny....

lovinmaryland

happyappygirl said:

:howdy: