insurance

grandpa

It looks like Grandma and I are to be Lusbyans. Our projected closing date is October 15.
We will be needing to get some homeowner's insurance, will also have to trade in some Texas auto insurance and upgrade to the MD stuff. Since all will "rape" me equally, does anyone have a favorite agency that handles all types of insurance?
I would like to get a broker that is close to the area, that could talk to the builder/ represenative to get the value on the new construction.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I've always been happy with Prudential for the most part, although the just did a rather large rate increase on us....for no apparent reason. Their rates just went up. :frown:

grandpa

Prudential just doubled my auto insurance and homeowners insurance here in TX, I went elsewhere and saved a bundle. I don't want to go back with them.:boo:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
We have Erie Homeowners insurance and after comparing them to others, it seems we're getting a great deal.

grandpa

I went to progressive and saved $350.00 on auto and saved over $500.00 on the house by a local company. Same , or in some cases better coverages. I probably over insured, but I feel better that way.

K

Kizzy

Erie was great when I had to make a rather large claim. The siding on my house had to be replaced because of hail and the tornado beat my little truck up (broke the windows, dented it, lifted it and slammed it back down)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Hi Grandpa :howdy:

I have Nationwide (Home) and they've raised my rates every year - I've never made a claim. I used to have my cars on Nationwide too, and they give you a discount (or they did).

Pete

Repete
I shopped aqround and ended up with Hollywood Insurance on 235. I got the same coverage on the house as USAA offered for $450 a year less. I still have my auto with USAA.

grandpa

Sharon: go by and look when you get a chance, We have roofing, housewrap, the drywall is in. Also have a shower, and a bathtub, windows, a front porch, roughed in plumbing in the basement. The heat pump has been installed. That is the latest that we got today. It looks like our closing date is good.
Looking for the insurance & other closing stuff now. We will contact the closing Title Company in the next week or so to see what hoops we have to jump through.
Will be looking forward to meeting all the SOMD folks in mid October.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by grandpa
Sharon: go by and look when you get a chance, We have roofing, housewrap, the drywall is in. Also have a shower, and a bathtub, windows, a front porch, roughed in plumbing in the basement. The heat pump has been installed. That is the latest that we got today.
Don't forget the 2 car garage.

I've been by a few times, looks good. :cheers:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by grandpa
Prudential just doubled my auto insurance and homeowners insurance here in TX, I went elsewhere and saved a bundle. I don't want to go back with them.:boo:

I had a buddy who was renting his house down in TX out. The whacked him good on the insurance becasue of Black mold. I guess it is causing huge claims.

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by PFgal
We have Erie Homeowners insurance and after comparing them to others, it seems we're getting a great deal.
We have Erie Homeowner's as well as Auto. Our auto went up about $100 this year. Erie took great care of us after the tornado--they were at our house the next day, and we're about 4 mi. away from downtown La Plata. They must've saturated the area with agents. Did really quick work on our house and the Tercel.

Hope you're really happy in your new place, Grandpa.
smileys10.gif

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Sharon and I have GEICO for auto. I got a quote from Progressive and told GEICO I was going to switch after more than twenty years and they lowered the rate even with Sharon's fast little red car.

A friend of mine says he saved a bundle by going with Erie for his house and umbrella policy.

Since you already have Progressive, why not just keep them? The rates will change because of the address change, but if you are happy with the coverage and service, stay with what you have. Maybe the local company has a rep up here? If not, I suggest Erie for the house.

Last edited:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Erie, hands down has the best prices on homeowners insurance. I compared prices when I bought my first house in '96 and again for number 2 last year. Nobody could touch them on price. And the one claim I made was handled promptly and professionally.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Just a side note, I called about my premiums going up for car insurance and was told they are raising them across the board so if you get a higher qoute from someone else it may all depend on where they are in the phase of upping it. You may want to ask. BTW, I have Progressive for auto and Foremost for renters.

Vince

Insurance!

Have GEICO for auto and never had a problem with them. Got Nationwide for homeowners and about the only time my rates went up is when they reaccessed my home for taxes. Of course your taxes go up and since your home is valued more your insurance will follow. But I've only had that happen once in the last 15 years, so I guess I'm doing good.:biggrin:

Jollymon

If you or grandma have been in the military, USAA is the way to go--they beat all rates, very professional to deal with and will help you with any type of insurance. I've been with them since I was 16 - never had a problem yet.

SmallTown

Football season!
One note about Progressive is they started out as mainly an insurance company for high risk people. They have begun to move more into the "mainsteam" market it seems, but their rates normally reflect their high risk heritage.

Erie has been good for us, we have them for both homeowners and car insurance and never a problem.