Interesting 5 minutes

phreddyp

The bottom line is even if the numbers are off by half it's still ridiculous to think that wind and solar will be anything more than a supplemental source of energy. Continuous sources of power will still be needed.

limblips

I wonder since they are so in to renewables why do they embrace EVs? The rare earth materials needed to make the batteries have a finite quantity. At some point we will have used it all. I am all about hydrogen but there seems to be opposition to it but I don't understand why.

black dog

Free America
That horrible Walmart Gas City Distribution Center rolling stock fork pallet and fork trucks all use hydrogen. Maybe they know something?

SamSpade

I wonder since they are so in to renewables why do they embrace EVs? The rare earth materials needed to make the batteries have a finite quantity. At some point we will have used it all. I am all about hydrogen but there seems to be opposition to it but I don't understand why.

Re: Rare Earths - worse, China has almost all of it, in their ground. Second - they KNOW this and are looking for more in the one place in the solar system anyone is likely to find more - on the Moon.

Re: Hydrogen. You can't mine hydrogen - you have to make it with other means - so unlike renewables like wind and solar - which arrive more or less "free" at least in terms of capture - hydrogen you have to MAKE. Which consumes energy.

There IS at least one way of getting hydrogen that I do think will work - and that is as a consequence of load balancing on nuclear reactors. When you create power, you have to adjust for demand - but if you use all of the excess power to create hydrogen, you don't need to balance at all. You can run the reactor at full blast and divert all extra power to creating and storing hydrogen. Making nukes MORE efficient.

Bonehead

Nukes always run at 100% capacity unless maintenance requires a lower power level. Most designs are less stable at lower power levels.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think at some point technology will develop so that wind and solar are solid reliable primary energy sources, but that point is not now and it's annoying that the cultbots insist it is.

limblips

I think at some point technology will develop so that wind and solar are solid reliable primary energy sources, but that point is not now and it's annoying that the cultbots insist it is.
I am especially fond of their refusal to acknowledge the fossil fuel tail that is attached to their green energy programs and the environmental disaster that disposal of them will bring on.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am especially fond of their refusal to acknowledge the fossil fuel tail that is attached to their green energy programs and the environmental disaster that disposal of them will bring on.

Have you ever tried to explain that to a dedicated greenie cultist? Their ignorance and level of brainwashing is crazy. They think this stuff just magically appears.

1stGenSMIB

Have you ever tried to explain that to a dedicated greenie cultist? Their ignorance and level of brainwashing is crazy. They think this stuff just magically appears.
I remind them that their Teslas are still charged by a coal fired power plant most of the time.
That being said, I've seriously thought about solar panels and a Tesla powerwall..I really just want to spin my meter backwards, and feed some electricity into the grid. Not sure about the payback and environmental issues related to manufacturing the battery and panels vs. just using coal (or natural gas) for electricity. As noted, none of it magically appears without some other impact on the environment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like the idea of renewable energy and not raping the land, but we don't have the technology yet for that to be feasible. Setting a deadline for everyone to be 100% compliant is absurd and shows what goobers our elected officials are.