Interesting who procreating

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
and who is not.
"When it comes to forecasting the future, the birthrate is the nearest thing to hard numbers. If only a million babies are born in 2006, it's hard to have two million adults enter the workforce in 2026... And the hard data on babies around the Western world is that they're running out a lot faster than the oil is. 'Replacement' fertility rate—i.e., the number you need for merely a stable population, not getting any bigger, not getting any smaller—is 2.1 babies per woman. Some countries are well above that: the global fertility leader, Somalia, is 6.91, Niger 6.83, Afghanistan 6.78, Yemen 6.75. Notice what those nations have in common? Scroll way down to the bottom of the Hot One Hundred top breeders and you'll eventually find the United States, hovering just at replacement rate with 2.07 births per woman. Ireland is 1.87, New Zealand 1.79, Australia 1.76. But Canada's fertility rate is down to 1.5, well below replacement rate; Germany and Austria are at 1.3, the brink of the death spiral; Russia and Italy are at 1.2; Spain 1.1, about half replacement rate. That's to say, Spain's population is halving every generation. By 2050, Italy's population will have fallen by 22%, Bulgaria's by 36%, Estonia's by 52%... The latter half of the decline and fall of great civilizations follows a familiar pattern: affluence, softness, decadence, extinction... A society that has no children has no future." —Mark Steyn

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
I'd also be interested to see how those stats correlate with the infant mortality rate.

For example, a woman who gives birth to six babies in Somalia might only see two of them live to adulthood---and one might have suffered such malnutrition that it is sterile.

Club'nBabySeals said:
I'd also be interested to see how those stats correlate with the infant mortality rate.

For example, a woman who gives birth to six babies in Somalia might only see two of them live to adulthood---and one might have suffered such malnutrition that it is sterile.
Exactly.

Pete

Repete
But unless you send .37 cents a day don't 5.99 of Somalia's 6.91 die from malnutrition? That would mean Somalia's net would be .92 or 1.18 below stability.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
2ndAmendment said:
and who is not.

They've been saying for years that this why this religious sect has been growing faster than others. It may explain why they're getting so surly.

Hessian

Conjecture...

An opinion:
The way birthing & child-rearing are generally portayed in the US press: its a wonder we are averaging two!
All we ever hear about is complications, fetal syndromes, lost earnings, high cost of hospitals,...the soaring cost of raising a child:
Thus: middle class/Late Baby boomers decide: it is just too costly and grueling.
Welfare wonders don't think through their behavior even after 5 or 6 bebes.
Catholics (Spanish Irish Italian) Americans also have decided that Birth Control is ok.

Thus...the numbers will fall: and we will continue to rely on legal & illegal immigration.

I'd loved to have had three kids: couldn't afford it,...wife couldn't have anymore either.
God said be happy with one......