Internet

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Need some recommendations on internet providers. Right now we have Verizon MiFi's and they run ok. We need in house internet due to security. Will most likely have 3-4 ipads hooked to it and some laptops. We live in the Drayden area ( I know BFE so I'm limited)

BernieP

Resident PIA
hughesnet, dish, or your cable company (if one exists out there)?

I want to know what Verizon MiFi is?

Not sure is DISH is still doing internet, I know HughesNet still advertises. Also, if you go with a satellite solution, it use to be download from the satellite but upload over a phone line. Check before signing on.

Verizon DSL probably isn't available in Drayden but you can ask Verizon, it's not a bad alternative, not as fast as cable of FiOS, but you don't have the latency issues during peak hours that you can get from sharing a line to the switch.

If by Verizon MiFi you were talking about the VerizonWireless hotspot that could be a solution. You pay for a seperate cel phone number that will be used by the shared hot spot

But probably the most accessable will be Metrocast cable. While I'm no fan of Metrocast, they might be the practical solution

BernieP

Resident PIA
a box that takes the cellular data signal and turns it into a Wifi signal

Thank you, I thought that was what it might be, isn't that also called a hotspot or something. It's that canister they sell?

Given the cost and bandwidth limitations on satelitte and the MiFi and the restricted locations for DSL, I think that cable might offer the best option.
It seems that only the most remote of areas are not served by METROCAST in St. Mary's county.

Last edited:

merc669

I have Metrocst Internet Only and have had no issues. Service is good if I have an issue and they have come out replaced cables and bent over backwards for me almost. I would give them a try. Some have had issues. I fro one cannot say I am one of those. We pay 50.20 a month for 12MDown and 3 Up. Not the fastest package but I can play WOW and other online streaming sites with no issues.....

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I have Metrocst Internet Only and have had no issues. Service is good if I have an issue and they have come out replaced cables and bent over backwards for me almost. I would give them a try. Some have had issues. I fro one cannot say I am one of those. We pay 50.20 a month for 12MDown and 3 Up. Not the fastest package but I can play WOW and other online streaming sites with no issues.....

:yeahthat: I have the wireless and we use 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 1 ipod, 1 Kindle, and 2 game consoles with no problems.

koan00

Last I checked, Wlid Blue had better speeds and packages compared to Hughes Net. A co worker has the exede service and is pretty happy with it other than the data caps. They both have time periods where you can download and not count against the cap, but wild blue's was at more useable times.