Invention Allows Humans to Breathe Like Fish

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
AC/DC said:
So, you didn't read the article huh? :ohwell:
Actually, I did... I just wondered if this was a "portable" device that essentially creates liquid oxygen, and you breath the liquid, or if it creates oxygen gas.

All it said was that if you depressurize it, you can breath it - didn't say that it had to be depressurized all the way back to a gas form.

B

Bruzilla

How long will it be before Al Gore starts complaining that this approach puts too much carbon dioxide and hydrogen into the water?

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
sleuth said:
Actually, I did... I just wondered if this was a "portable" device that essentially creates liquid oxygen, and you breath the liquid, or if it creates oxygen gas.

All it said was that if you depressurize it, you can breath it - didn't say that it had to be depressurized all the way back to a gas form.

Well, you won't get liquid Oxygen out of water.........it's going to be in the form of a gas.

Cletus_Vandam

Very cool. Just what I want to go diving with. Something that has "emergency air" and you jump into the water with batteries strapped to your waist.

I'll wait for the next benchmark invention.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Cletus_Vandam said:
Very cool. Just what I want to go diving with. Something that has "emergency air" and you jump into the water with batteries strapped to your waist.

I'll wait for the next benchmark invention.
Wouldn't it be something if they could figure out a way to get this device to not require any power? Or maybe use some type of energy harvester or hydro power?

If this thing is legit, it will offer significant benefits to divers. They'll be able to dive for much longer periods of time. It could also offer significant benefits for military use.

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
sleuth said:
Wouldn't it be something if they could figure out a way to get this device to not require any power? Or maybe use some type of energy harvester or hydro power?

If this thing is legit, it will offer significant benefits to divers. They'll be able to dive for much longer periods of time. It could also offer significant benefits for military use.

I would think that the divers would still suffer the same Nitrogen saturation issues that they suffer from today on deep dives..........I also don't see how they can depressurize the water without some kind of powered device. :shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
AC/DC said:
I would think that the divers would still suffer the same Nitrogen saturation issues that they suffer from today on deep dives..........I also don't see how they can depressurize the water without some kind of powered device. :shrug:
An energy harvesting device would be a power source, but it would essentially be unlimited.

As for Nitrogen saturation, I've never heard of it. Does that have anything to do with "the bends"? At the very least, it would very useful for shallow dives.

B

Bruzilla

If I remember my open water diving class correctly, diving deeper than 7 ft puts you into a second atmosphere, or 28 PSI, which can cause the bends if you stay there long enough. Also, I seem to remember that diving on 100 percent oxygen can lead to unconciousness.

I think that if you're extracting oxygen from the water, that leaves you a lot of hydrogen to play with as a fuel source. Now if only there were a way to make a hydrogen motor for the device.

Last edited by a moderator:

ylexot

Super Genius
Bruzilla said:
I think that if you're extracting oxygen from the water, that leaves you a lot of hydrogen to play with as a fuel source. Now if only there were a way to make a hydrogen motor for the device.
You're not reading it right. This doesn't split water into hydrogen and oxygen, it takes the air (it's not just oxygen) that is dissolved in water and extracts it.

Also, the hydrogen would require oxygen to burn in order to provide energy. :ohwell:

B

Bruzilla

ylexot said:
You're not reading it right. This doesn't split water into hydrogen and oxygen, it takes the air (it's not just oxygen) that is dissolved in water and extracts it.

Also, the hydrogen would require oxygen to burn in order to provide energy. :ohwell:

Yes, I was reading it wrong. This raises another issue, that being the variance in levels of air in water. Most large bodies of water have a mixed layer that runs from the surface down to 20-30 ft, that's caused by wind and waves churning the water. I would guess there would be a large amount of air in this area, and less as you go deeper.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Bruzilla said:
Yes, I was reading it wrong. This raises another issue, that being the variance in levels of air in water. Most large bodies of water have a mixed layer that runs from the surface down to 20-30 ft, that's caused by wind and waves churning the water. I would guess there would be a large amount of air in this area, and less as you go deeper.
:ohwell: There's a lot of oxygen-breathing fish that spend long periods of time below -30 ft. :shrug: