iPhone for Verizon

SamSpade

Giving strong consideration for getting a "newer" iPhone - quotes because it doesn't have to be NEW, just a newer model.

What confuses me however about buying a phone for Verizon versus - well, anyone else really - is what to look for should I buy one on eBay or Amazon or at Best Buy.

What key words should I be looking for if I want to buy an iPhone from one of these sources, but I want to use it with Verizon?

TPD

the poor dad
Giving strong consideration for getting a "newer" iPhone - quotes because it doesn't have to be NEW, just a newer model.

What confuses me however about buying a phone for Verizon versus - well, anyone else really - is what to look for should I buy one on eBay or Amazon or at Best Buy.

What key words should I be looking for if I want to buy an iPhone from one of these sources, but I want to use it with Verizon?

I usually buy refurbished directly from Apple. Save money and get a full year warranty. I just take my SIM card out of my old phone and put in the refurbished phone and keep on texting. Unlocked is the keyword I think you are looking for.

SamSpade

Unlocked is the keyword I think you are looking for.

I think with Verizon there's more. I remember that just swapping SIMS when we were abroad didn't work - I think there's a hardware difference for Verizon phones that distinguishes them from every other carrier.

TPD

the poor dad
I think with Verizon there's more. I remember that just swapping SIMS when we were abroad didn't work - I think there's a hardware difference for Verizon phones that distinguishes them from every other carrier.

Hmmm not sure. What I do know is last November, I ordered a refurbished unlocked iPhone8 from the Apple website. Took the SIM out of my iPhone6 and put in the iPhone8 and everything worked. I'm on the Verizon network. Maybe things have changed in the last year or two with Verizon and the hardware requirements??

I think what you're looking for is this:
CDMA and GSM networks are two types of cellular phone networks, and generally, if you have a phone made for one, it can't be used on the other. In the US, Sprint®* and Verizon run on the CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile run on the GSM networks.

GregV814

Ever since the misses bought a refurbished phone from the folks at Verizon in DUNKIRK Md. she has had nothing but problems with it. The manager has been nothing short of a ****, and now our wireless home phone is acting up because of the new phone base. Oh yeah we got it for $1.00 too...Such a deal

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, unlocked is the key to working across carriers here in the US. My last two phones have been unlocked Pixels, just slapped in my SIMcard from my old Verizon phone.