Iraqi redeployment poll

Iraqi redeployment

• Do we need to maintain what we are doing and stay the course?

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • De we need to annouce a definitive timeline for redeployment?

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

MMDad

Lem Putt
Ken King said:
:yeahthat: Anyone that was in during the Vietnam era (not that they were in country) would have had over 28 years active when Iraq started.

So how many years do you have in port air?
I was going for '87 when the Stark got hit.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ken King said:
They were on our side at that time, but don't tell anyone.
Funny, I just googled the Stark.. Memory was telling me it was hit by a Silkworm from Iran.. and I can vividly remember the Nightly News showing pictures of a Silkworm on a launch rail. I even remember them making a big deal of China supplying IRAN with the SIlkworm missile.

But now I read the story online from Newsweek.. French Mirage F-1 from IRAQ fired two French Exocet Missiles, one hit the Stark and almost sank it. We radioed Suadi Arabia for help to get the plane that hit our ship, and they hesitated and didn't offer any help until the Iraqui plane was safely home and back on land.

I also didn't realize how close we were to war with Iran at the time.. SEVERAL at sea engagements, us capturing and sinking their oil platforms, sinking several of their gunboats etc etc..

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I guess it's oil, but I don't know why we continue to claim to be on friendly terms with Saudi Arabia. They talk the talk when they have to, and they allow us to use their land and airspace if we sweet-talk 'em, but the Saudi's actions speak louder than words - not being there when we need them to use the weapons we've sold them to assist us, holding people at gunpoint (I won't repeat my personal experience for the dozenth time). I'll go so far as to say that, counting on any Arab (Muslim) country to be anything but our adversary these days is one step this side of childishly naive.

Viet Nam repeated or not, we're in a position where it's expected of us to be doing the "right" thing. And the silent majority of Americans are flying flags more prominently and sticking ribbons on their cars in support of that role and the folks who are doing it. A great many folks who might have been sitting on the fence with regard to religion have been sent to Christian churches by the Muslims.

I submit that it's the Muslims who declared the war in which we are now engaged. President Bush's declaration of war on terror merely formalized what the nation of Islam had already done. The Muslims have already made a conscious decision to not be placated by diplomacy, and anything they do or say which appears to be a softening of their position should be interpreted as a ploy, buying time while they plan or construct their next belligerent act.

The sooner we quit harping and wringing our hands, and get squarely behind the folks trying to get the job done, the better.