Is a Hot Dog A Sandwich ?

Is a Hot Dog A Sandwich ?

• Total voters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A hot dog is a sandwich like chili is soup, as in it's its own category within that larger general realm.

Grumpy

The crow is being too cute by half because the question was "Is a 'hot dog' a sandwich?" rather than "Is a 'hot dog on a bun" a sandwich.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, when one says they're having hotdogs, the bun is presumed. Much like if you tell the waitress you'd like a burger, you don't normally specify that it should come on a bun.

TCROW

Well, when one says they're having hotdogs, the bun is presumed. Much like if you tell the waitress you'd like a burger, you don't normally specify that it should come on a bun.

That still doesn't make it a sandwich. The invention of sausages pre-dates the good Earl's invention. Therefore, the hotdog, even on a bun, cannot possibly be a sandwich.

Toxick

Splat
That still doesn't make it a sandwich. The invention of sausages pre-dates the good Earl's invention. Therefore, the hotdog, even on a bun, cannot possibly be a sandwich.

Beef, ham, turkey and lamb all predate The earl of Sandwich.

But if you stick them on bread or a roll, they're still sandwiches.

TCROW

Beef, ham, turkey and lamb all predate The earl of Sandwich.

But if you stick them on bread or a roll, they're still sandwiches.

The National Hot Dog and Sandwich Council says not a sandwich. One cannot get a more authoritative answer than that.

Toxick

Splat
The National Hot Dog and Sandwich Council says not a sandwich. One cannot get a more authoritative answer than that.

TCROW

I guess you'll want to read it -- evidence provided, therefore not fallacious argument ;-P

Toxick

Splat
I guess you'll want to read it -- evidence provided, therefore not fallacious argument ;-P

I didn't see anything that I would accept as "definitive".

Although I found this comparison amusing:
“Limiting the hot dog’s significance by saying it’s ‘just a sandwich’ category is like calling the Dalai Lama ‘just a guy.’

Well - the Dalai Lama is a guy - whatever else he may be.

PeoplesElbow

If you take two pieces of bread, slice the weiners lengthwise and put two sliced weiners between two pieces of bread that is a sandwich, but is it still a hotdog?

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you take two pieces of bread, slice the weiners lengthwise and put two sliced weiners between two pieces of bread that is a sandwich, but is it still a hotdog?

Then it's a hotdog sandwich.

Fun fact: There are some rubes who refer to a runza as a "runza sandwich", and that is simply wrong. But if the runza guts were between two slices of bread, THEN it becomes a runza sandwich.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In looking up sandwiches, I found this:

It was invented by an Australian, so I don't want to hear anymore crap about Americans and their sketchy eating habits.

Although the Americans did ramp that up for the Red White and Blue:

Another variety of hamdog was invented in February 2005 by Chandler Goff, the owner of a bar in Decatur, Georgia. This version consists of a hot dog wrapped in a half pound of hamburger with bacon, cheese and onion on a hoagie bun which is deep-fried and served with a fried egg on top and a side of French fries.

I had a heart attack just reading that.

PeoplesElbow

In looking up sandwiches, I found this:

It was invented by an Australian, so I don't want to hear anymore crap about Americans and their sketchy eating habits.

Although the Americans did ramp that up for the Red White and Blue:

Another variety of hamdog was invented in February 2005 by Chandler Goff, the owner of a bar in Decatur, Georgia. This version consists of a hot dog wrapped in a half pound of hamburger with bacon, cheese and onion on a hoagie bun which is deep-fried and served with a fried egg on top and a side of French fries.

I had a heart attack just reading that.
He stole that idea off the cosby show.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
a hot dog wrapped in a half pound of hamburger with bacon, cheese and onion on a hoagie bun which is deep-fried and served with a fried egg on top and a side of French fries. I had a heart attack just reading that.

except for the onions that sounds great