Is America turning into a nation of dunces?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Today, 60% of college graduates cannot name a single step necessary to ratify a constitutional amendment; half don’t know how long the terms are for representatives or senators. Two out of five don’t know that Congress has the power to declare war.

It gets worse. Ten percent of the college graduates surveyed thought that Judge Judy is currently serving on the Supreme Court.

Read two or three of Tranny or Sappys "insights" and you'll have no doubts.

transporter

Today, 60% of college graduates cannot name a single step necessary to ratify a constitutional amendment; half don’t know how long the terms are for representatives or senators. Two out of five don’t know that Congress has the power to declare war.

It gets worse. Ten percent of the college graduates surveyed thought that Judge Judy is currently serving on the Supreme Court.

:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme

TCROW

I love a little self-depreciation in the morning!

transporter

One more thought...Kyle, why don't you ask your source to give the quiz to our inept and incompetent President? You know the guy who has no idea that he isn't a King? The guy who constantly asks his subordinates to break the law...and when they refuse he fires them. The guy whose only apparent capability to "govern" is via executive order or claim of national emergency?

In other words, the guy who actually matters.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, not knowing a thing isn't stupidity, but ignorance, so your first is education, not intelligence. As for the second, 10% is pretty low. Well within the idiot distribution curve, I think. .

TCROW

This is more of the same old boring tripe of picking on younger generations.

What an odd and condescending feature of our humanity that we always think whatever generational cohort into which we are born is the best, the brightest, the most well-adjusted, superlative in every way, etc. How dumb.

Here’s how it works: we’re all born dumb as hell and with good upbringing and a little effort, we figure it out. Others, like OP for example, stay dumb as hell.

SamSpade

So, not knowing a thing isn't stupidity, but ignorance, so your first is education, not intelligence. As for the second, 10% is pretty low. Well within the idiot distribution curve, I think. .

Disagree, on both points.

I tell my kids that ignorance is when you say or do something wrong or idiotic, because you've never been told otherwise
(or never had the opportunity to know) .

STUPID is when you have.

It's impossible for a college graduate to have never learned these things, or never have been told - they've just chosen to be stupid, because they don't care. (I've been over my son's seventh grade social studies - he may forget these things, but it has been taught to him - by the time he's a senior in high school, it will have been taught many times).

It's like with kids - you tell them not to do something, you explain why - and they do it anyway and reap the rewards. And then I tell them they were stupid.

On the second - I can see how a typical American might not know that Judge Judy isn't on the Supreme Court, but how can anyone go through four years of college and remain that uninformed? 10% really is unacceptably high. But I've seen it - worse, some of these kids they interview are Ivy League graduates - where they did not major in underwater basket weaving and even with a rich dad, they needed good grades to get in.

Ignorance is curable but stupid is forever.

I am the first to admit, I don't know 2 out of the 3 above. Not because I'm stupid, not because I have a learning disability, but because it's not interesting to me. But by the same coin toss, I can tell you (generic, not specific to Kyle) about things we were taught in school that you have no clue about, because again, it's not interesting to you but it is to me.

And to use the argument that "omg why don't you know it's everyone's responsibility to know this you're a bad American"... different people have different interests and that's what makes the world work. If we were all experts in law, philosophy and government, I suspect much of the rest of the world would fall apart.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When you have more people of the lower socioeconomic scale reproducing faster than the higher classes, it's bound to have a nationally lowering effect.

Lower IQ people TEND to have children with similar IQs. A few of these unions produce mensa candidates but it's rare. Higher IQ parents have a greater possibility to have high IQ kids. Then you have the environment those kids are raised in.

Being military, my kids went to several different schools in various US states. I'd go to the PTA meetings at 1 of the better schools. It would be standing room only. My son ended up in a magnet program in PG county. PTA meeting has a few dozen people. The contrast between the 2 schools was shocking. I'm convinced that the lack of parental involvement in those kids live's had a detrimental impact on their education.