Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Ovr rated

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here's most people's top 10;

Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, Aaron, Rose, Williams, Cobb, Musial, Bonds, DiMaggio give or take.

Is Cal top 10? Top 20? Lower?

mrweb

Iron City
Cal is the last of the true Iron Men of baseball. IMO he played for the joy of the game, not the money. As such, the money found him.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Voted top 30 and agree with MrWebb on the true love of the game. Cal was a throwback to an earlier era. Saw quite a few games leading up to him breaking Gehrigs record, and his generosity with his time after the game was amazing. He didn't just sign autographs, he talked with each kid with sincerity. I think back now and laugh about all the adults standing in line with bats and pictures thinking they were gonna make a mint on this stuff in a few years. Cal signed so many autographs that his autograph is virtually worthless, but each kid he signed for has a memory for life. On the field he was an above average player, but stood far above every other player off the field.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have to agree with mrweb and otter. For me personally, he's in the top 10. Were there better players? I don't doubt it. But for me, Cal epitomizes the heart and soul of baseball, both on and off the field. He truly loves the game and gave 110% every single inning. He was a team player and Baltimore was the only home he ever wanted.

I sincerely doubt in this age of free agency and the greed for money there will EVER be anyone that comes close to him. He is someone I truly look up to and hope others do, too.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kom526 said:
One word---Integrity

or maybe

Character

What Cal means to Baseball is superhero !!!
What Cal means to Baltimore: a great hometown boy !
What Cal means to the Baltimore Orioles in terms or performance is :blahblah: way overated ! but he attended a lotta' games :bigwhoop:

Overall : Top Ten of all time !!!

I saw Boog play first base when I was a kid !
Now that WAS impressive !!!!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
FireBrand said:
Thanks sweety :huggy:

:burning:

:lol: Any time. :huggy:

And I was a Yaz fan when I was a kid - and yes, I did live in New England. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Boston although Baltimore is and always will be my number one team.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jazz lady said:
:lol: Any time. :huggy:

And I was a Yaz fan when I was a kid - and yes, I did live in New England. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Boston although Baltimore is and always will be my number one team.

Amen ! Go O's !!!

Lilypad

Most folks from MD would disagree w/that list-
Cal, Eddie and Brooks were always my favs! :yay:
Oh crap-I left out Frank R., Mark B., Jim P. and the Moose! :jameo:

Last edited: