Is Jesus God? Or is Jesus the Son of God?

seekeroftruth

I don't want to get political... but I have a real question....

I heard a politician saying "the god I worship was also falsely accused and convicted" or something like that.

I don't want children who hear this to get confused.

I personally think Jesus is the Son.

Just want to find out if others think Jesus is God.

Is the Trinity used in the answer?

What if we take the Trinity out of the answer?

Is Jesus the Son of God.... or God himself?

stgislander

PREMO Member
For me, the short answer is Yes.
Shield-Trinity-Scutum-Fidei-English.jpg

I may not understand it completely, but then it's God. Somethings you take on faith.

And I don't think you can take the Trinity out of the answer.

Toxick

Splat

Short answer, Yes.

Before Christ there was simply God. When redemption time came around (i.e. Jesus' birth, death and ressurection and all the fun stuff in between), God projected himself onto the earth to walk among us as a man. That man was Jesus....

Jesus "The Son" is a facet [1] of The Holy Trinity. One God with three natures.

The Father and The Holy Spirit are the other two. I never quite figured how the Holy Spirit got in there or what the purpose is, but my working hypothesis is that the body cannot live without a soul, and that's what that is. But I'm not a theologist, so, take that for what it is worth.

What if we take the Trinity out of the answer?

Is Jesus the Son of God.... or God himself?

Why would you take the Trinity out of the answer?

Why don't you take God Himself out of the answer too - same thing. They're not separate beings any more than then left and right hemispheres of your brain are seperate YOU's.

Anyway - this concept of the Trinity is why Muslims call Christians polytheists. But they're wrong. We follow a single God who has 3 .... sides? Faces? Natures? Brain Hemispheres [2]? Doesn't matter what you call it.

[1] I don't know that's the right word...
[2] Trirectangular tetrahedrons ?

SamSpade

Jesus said - before Abraham was - I AM.
Colossians 1:15 and following -

15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

He has always been.

John 17:4

4 I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

HOWEVER -

Jesus is one thing the Father is not - he is temporal and not eternal, at least, once he was incarnated on Earth.
He is God, incarnate. This is repeated, in the Nicene Creed.

The Father exists outside time, outside our world, outside Creation. He has to. You cannot have a Creator that is part of his own creation.
So Jesus IS God, but - he is God WITHIN time. Once he was, as stated in the Creed - "made man".

The Father knows the beginning and end of time. He's not clairvoyant - the future and the present and the past are all the same to him. Because he is not part of it. It's what we MEAN when we say, he is ETERNAL. It doesn't mean he lives forever - it means time has no part of him. Eternity is not "time without end". It is existence, without TIME. It's why he knows how things will happen - just as you know the outcome of a book you've read, or a movie you've seen. You're not IN the book - but you know how it ends.

But Jesus, when he became man - he was inserted into Creation. He is God - but separate from the Father. As such, he actually doesn't know everything, at least, as man. He doesn't know for example, when he is returning. He SAID SO. He asked the Father if he could die without the suffering. He asked for it, not knowing the outcome.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Look at John 1:1-5.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it."

It is understood by many, including the early Church fathers, that "the Word" represents God the Son.

seekeroftruth

I Believe that Jesus was with His Father, God, while His Father, God was creating everything. I see the two of them standing separately though. Two entities rather than One.

God will live forever and more... there will be no handing the reigns of everything everywhere to Jesus upon the final Blessing because God will never die, so there will be no final Blessing.

Jesus will inherit Earth! He'll dwell with us like God originally dwelt with Adam. Jesus will always be the Son of God!

I think the Trinity is how the preachers explain the Holy Spirit. Once God talked to Adam, the earth would always bear witness to the fact God Was There. Everything changes when God gets involved, and the Holy Spirit is the witness that makes the changes sparkle so we notice them and stay on track.

The Trinity to me is the Past, Present, and Future. God, Jesus, Spirit.....

I don't think we'll have to rely on the Spirit once Jesus has returned.

So, when that woman said "The God I serve was also convicted", she had it wrong. The Son of the God she worships is the one who was convicted and hung on a cross. God is the one Jesus talked it over with. The Spirit could only witness after the fact, as ordered by The Father.

I have no doubt she meant she worships God. I just think the preachers didn't make the Trinity clear to her.

Preachers would have us worship Jesus, when God is God and He's the One we should be talking to anyway! Jesus told us to pray... "Our Father, Who art in Heaven".

It's like the upside-down Bible all over again. Did she mean it? Or was she being ironic in ignorance?

But then again... I'm probably wrong anyway.... ;)

Thank you for your replies. I have something to think about now.

:coffee:

Last edited: