Is Life Beating You Up?

baydoll

Dear Wonderful Religion Forum People,

Is life beating you up? Having one of those 'weeks'? Or one of those 'years'? Nothing going right for you and you feel you could use a lift? Well I have a wonderful book recommendation for you. (yup another book recommendation).

Whenever I am in a down mood or life is throwing me for a loop and I feel like throwing myself a huge pity party, I break out one of Barbara Johnson's books. She's the author of many uplifting and wise books one of which is the delightful 'Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy'.

Christianbooks has this to say about Barbara:

A strong Christian woman who relied on her faith in God and her sense of humor to persevere through many devastating experiences, her life was plagued by a string of tragedies. Her husband was in a near fatal accident and slowly recovered from debilitating injuries. She lost one son in Vietnam and another son to a drunk driver. Her third son was estranged from the family while pursuing a homosexual lifestyle. But, she emerged from these experiences having learned that though pain is inevitable, people can choose to pick flowers instead of weeds.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. She also battled with severe depression (in which she almost committed suicide) her husband's fight with bone cancer (which he lost) the same time she was fighting her own battle with cancer (brain cancer) in which SHE lost back in 2007. During that time of illness and widowhood (her husband passed away before her) she added an amazing four more books to her already amazing list of published works. Barbara was truly an amazing and inspiring woman of God and her life blessed many INCLUDING mine.

Her books have helped me through my own trying times. Reading them made me laugh out really loud when I didn't feel like laughing period. They lifted me up when I felt like giving up. So for those of you who could really use a bit of sparkle and laughter and joy and sunshine right now, these books are for you. May they be a special blessing to you as they were to me. :huggy:

Much love and Happy Friday!

Baydoll

P.S. For those of you who don't know, Mrs. Johnson also started a ministry for parents of gays. Now before you accuse me of gay bashing, I want to say I love gay people. They are one of the nicest sweetest people I know, even though they are a bit crazy but hey, aren't we all? :cheesy:

Baydoll -----> Mother of a gay son. :howdy:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Thanks for the recommendation, must check her out. Always looking for enlightening reading.

Happy weekend to you too!
:howdy:

mamatutu

mama to two
Thanks for the recommendation, baydoll. I just put The Best of Barbara Johnson on hold at the library.

"Three bestselling works complete in one volume.
Contents:
Stick a geranium in your hat and be happy! -- Splashes of joy in the cesspools of life -- Pack up your gloomees in a great big box, then sit on the lid and laugh"

:smile: